1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aun: Division is forced to hunt for revenue
Friday, July 15, 2005
BY FRED J. AUN
For the Star-Ledger
For almost a century, the sportsmen of New Jersey took pride (and shelter) in the fact that the state Division of Fish and Wildlife was primarily funded by hunting and fishing licenses, fees and permits.

While some money from the general taxpayer kitty was used for Fish and Wildlife expenses -- primarily capital projects like the Pequest Trout Hatchery -- the division's main source of operational revenue has been from hunters and anglers.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1121405415227340.xml&coll=1

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Q: Why doesn't the F&W post more volunteer requests?

I mean I could help with some stuff (computer... and other things).

How about an adopt a WMA program... similar to adopt a highway?

Heck, why can't I purchase an extra turkey permit online instead of driving out to Pequest?

Or what about a mentor program to take kids hunting? Maybe a kid's mom/dad works all week and does not have time. I bet hunters would be more than happy to take a kid hunting with them.

Just thinking out loud...

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
All good ideas. NJ beurocracy has problems connecting with the people they work for.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Drag, the problem is it will cost money just to set up volunteer programs!

I give the division $290.50 to fish and hunt every year. Now if 50,000 sportsman did the same thats 14.5 million just in license fees collected. Anyone know their budget? What is availble to them from the FED?

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Let's see...at least...

NJ All-Around 72.25
Trout Stamp 10.50
Rilfe Permit 9.50
Permit Muzzey 28
Permit Bow 28
Permit Shotgun 28
Fall Turkey 21
Spring Turkey (week 1) 21
Spring Turkey (week 2) 21
Spring Turkey (Sats only) 21

Total: 260.25

Don't let my wife see this! ;)

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Much of the license fees also pays for non hunting related expenses and for monitoring of species that are either non-game or are not hunted. Somewhere around 5 million every year. Add to that missing money and misallocation of funds and it quickly adds up. That's why the 4.2 million was put into the budget this year from the general funds. It should be much more and we'll be back next year asking for more unless a stable source of funding is put into place.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
NJ All-Around 72.25
Trout Stamp 10.50
Rifle Permit 9.50
Permit Muzzleloader 28
Permit Muzzleloader 28
Permit Bow 28
Permit Bow 28
Permit Bow 28
Permit Shotgun 28
Spring Turkey (week 1) 21
Spring Turkey (Sats only) 21
Pheasant Stamp 40
Federal Duck Stamp 15
State Duck Stamp 5

$314.50. That's not counting my son's permits and stamps. I would gladly pay triple.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
yep..makes ya wonder. I went hunting with an old buddy down in Va. last year--license runs June to June.

Nonresident hunting and big game is $80.50, right over the internet.

4 or 5 deer tags, bear tag, fall and spring turkey tags, (4 if I remember) plus small game. The only thing more I could have bought if I needed it would be a Federal Waterfowl stamp.

And..these are NON-resident prices.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts