New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think there is a difference between the various aftermarket scope mount deer barrels. Hastings is the most expensive, Remington is in the middle, and the one I'm looking at is the Mossberg replacement 870 barrel. It's definately the least expensive, and I know that you get what you pay for, but what exactly would be the difference?

B

·
0 Posts
As far as safty there is no difference, but there could be a difference from one brand to another if the the twist is faster. I think both the Remington and Mossberg's are 1 in 36, the hastings is 1 in 34, as well as ITHACA's barrels for the 870

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
For the most part they can all be considered the same barrel. The only differences ase usually in the finishes and the rifling,(rate of twist). Even if there are some minor quality differences in these barrels, that will not be the major determininate of accuracy in your specific setup.

The most important issue comes down to how well the barrel connects to your action. Until you can actually "lock" a barrel to the action, the actual construction of the barrel becomes a secondary issue.

Shotgun barrels are notorious for sloppy fit, which means nothing when you’re throwing a load of shot at a pheasant or turkey, but is an absolute evil on a rifle range. The answer is to have your barrel fixed to the receiver. The barrels in most slug guns can be pinned with a set screw or actually fixed with Lok-Tite.

“If you don’t lock it down, the barrel will turn minutely on the threads or move slightly in the receiver every time a slug hits the rifling,” says Mark Bansner at Bansner’s Gunsmithing Specialties of Adamstown, Pennsylvania. “That doesn’t mean much at 40 or 50 yards, but it can make tight groups impossible at 100 yards and longer.”

FYI...The Hastings is a 1-34, the Mossberg is usually a 1-36, and I believe the Remington is a 1-35 twist. This difference in rifling rates would have no real world effect on hunting accuracy.

·
Registered
889 Posts
murray,

I was also looking at the mossberg barrels for my 870. They are going pretty cheap on ebay (about $150) good luck

B

·
0 Posts
$150 FOR THE MOSSBERG 870 BARREL, AND $160 FOR THE ITHACA 870 BARREL IN CABELAS

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Watch the barrels with the cantilever scope mounts. I've had problem with them maintaining their zero. That's why I switched to my Mossberg bolt slug gun. It has a very rigid scope mount.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts