New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first turkey calling diaphragm anyone have any good advice or helpful tips on calling been watching some YouTube videos but figured it couldn't hurt to get more advice maybe there is something I don't know about or haven't thought to look up

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured as much I finally just took it out of my mouth was trying to work it my whole three hour ride home from the show tonight. Still trying to figure out how to lower my pitches a bit

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I just started learning as well. Took a while to figure out the proper placement in the mouth and bringing up the air over your tongue from your diagram but I'm finally starting to get some good yelps. Practicing quite a bit.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
once your used to having it make sounds , when in the car try and call to the songs on the radio. it wont take long till you can manipulate the call to any sound you want to make

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
insted of trying to sound like a turkey right off the bat, Try to use it like an instument and play a song you know with it, you will get the hang of hitting highs and lows that way. It sounds like funny advise but it worked for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
nwtf has good sound bites that will give you an idea of what you want to sound like. As the others have said before it just takes lots of practice. When your friends, tell you they have heard enough, then you are just at the half way point of good practice. haha

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for all the great advice my family and friends are gonna kill me! I can't wait to annoy them all![up]

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Cheryl85, I got one a few months ago and almost choked the first few times I used it. Yeah, I know I'm not supposed to swallow the stupid thing, but I learned real quick. It does take practice (a lot), but once you get it positioned right, the birds start singing back. Good luck

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I have spent 10 years trying to figure out why some can use one and some can't. what I find is most do not position the call right in the mouth. meaning when i hear a person that can not make a crisp sound that will be most o the time that person is allowing air to flow over the top of the call the air flow over the top and bottom of the reeds causes a counter acting pressure. the call tape has to be pushed up tight to the roof of the mouth yet the reed needs to be free. I like the thick tapes as once the taped is formed to the shape of the mouth it stays that way and will go into position but is harder to get the call tight for some because they do not get the call in and up for the amount of time needed to shape the call they do not like the feeling. thin tape calls feel better to some but I see people do not force the seal and also with the tape soft the reed can be forced to closed to the roof which will give the tickle effect on the roof of the mouth. to hold the call in position the call is held with the sides of the tongue leaving the center open. if the tongue is being tickled then to much center rise is being done. when I put a new call in my mouth I do not try to make a bunch of sounds at first I just put it position and apply the pressure and keep it there for awhile to get the tape wet and get the comfort feeling in the mouth this will take 5 to 10 mins on some calls if you are not use to the calls being there. then i start to blow the call the get sounds and adjust it in the mouth thin tape never really forms so just get it wet and work the sounds. If you are know do not try to sound like a turkey you won't. you need to learn the call and every call is different to blow. the more experience the caller the less the caller thinks about the difference and just does it by nature. I can blow hard air soft air what ever It does not matter to me as I understand that different sounds need to be blown with different air and pressures it is a fact of life no biggie. getting back to the trail, as a new caller you only need to try to produce the same sounds at first 10 to 20 of the same anything same pitch, time, and beat. after you get the ability to produce a sound the same every time now you can start to try to sound like a turkey go with the yelp first learn the different yelps long , short, excited and pleading yelps then you can go on.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
******* that may be the first and only time I've read someone referring to tape thickness. Most of the time I can't keep the call in place. Now it makes sense (to me). Thanks.

You may have a future in this call business I think![up][hihi]

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
That was my biggest problem when I just started to learn *******. Not having the call positioned properly and far enough back on the roof of my mouth, while always getting and maintaining a good seal. Great post.[up]

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
When you do get the hang of it, something very important to remember is just because it sounds good to you doesn't mean didley-poo to the birds. Sometimes they will gobble at anything that makes a sound in the woods and other times you won't hear a peep out of them

·
Registered
36 Posts
great point ******* ! the tape is used kinda like a gasket . it stops air from going between the call n the roof of your mouth (where u don't want it to go )you want the air to go between your tongue and the reeds .harder pressure with your tongue against the reeds gives a higher pitch .and vise a versa .

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
bucndoe you make a point that I stress in every turkey call talk I give and that is the difference between loc calling and calling a bird in. I am classified as a very aggressive caller and most of my birds are killed on very aggressive calling. but locate calling most of the time will not bring in a bird. locate calling is a shock sound even when it is a hen sound to get the bird to sound off so we can set up properly to call them in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive been practicing everyday everywhere the people at work think I've fallen off my rocker and my daughter laughs in the car when I practice and my husband just ignores me now lol but the tips you guys have been giving are awesome thank you![up]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts