New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Although I wouldn't eat raccoon or opossum I have had my share of rabbit and squirrel. When I used to hunt with my Dad back in the day we ate what we shot. It wasn't that bad. I still eat rabbit but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat a squirrel anymore.

This Man is obviously very poor and doing what he needs to get buy. In his culture this is as normal for him as it is for us to enjoy Sushi, etc.

I don't think he's a WEIRDO though, just some poor guy trying to survive where everything cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Every person getting by on what they can catch and trap to eat.....It's what we all came from, and what we will all go back to eventually. Nothing wrong with it. Good for him.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
"I knowed some hard times," Beasley says. "But a man's got to know how to get hisself through them hard times. -

Can't argue with that. The man is fending for himself. Most of today's generation couldn't do without their ipod, let alone catch their own meal.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Great post!! I've never tried **** before, but wouldn't hesitate if it were on the table. You say he's poor, but he's retired and gets to make money doing what he loves.... hunting, selling and cooking. I say he's a rich man.

I would love to get out on a **** hunt with someone sometime. My dad used to do it all the time and he has some great stories and memories.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Although I wouldn't eat raccoon or opossum I have had my share of rabbit and squirrel. When I used to hunt with my Dad back in the day we ate what we shot. It wasn't that bad. I still eat rabbit but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat a squirrel anymore.
Squirrel is the best eating wild game in the woods. I'll take squirrel over any other wild game. Past few years I have gotten away from deer hunting and concentrate on squiirels with my flintlock for the reason I just stated, plus they are fun and challenging to hunt and I don't have to drag them out.

·
Registered
612 Posts
when i was young on the farm my grandfather and uncles would **** hunt in the winter and we would tag along. I remember when they had enough skinned in the freezers he would make a phone call and a car would come with black people and they would buy them

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
This Man is obviously very poor and doing what he needs to get buy. In his culture this is as normal for him as it is for us to enjoy Sushi, etc.

I don't think he's a WEIRDO though, just some poor guy trying to survive where everything cost an arm and a leg.
Well said

Ill stick to Chicken & Turkey (from the grocery store)
He's obviously not as well off as you... but go ahead and judge him if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
What we need to do is send our spoiled rotten kids (I mean that in a good way) to where folks like this live to show them how good we have it and how hard it is for others in this good old Country of ours.

Wow, now I sound like my Father. This is scary.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
When there was a market for raccoon meat I'd make a $1000 yr.. Then rabies hit NJ & the market died.
still a good market here. super bowl sunday is the biggest day of the year for baked ****.[confused]
down south we still have a ****, muskrat, beaver, and k9 meat market.
some years it not worth it to skin and put up a animal, just sell in the round. no work and same money. i'd rather do the work, but you have to weigh out the time and money.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Just watched the video, didn't notice it before. That old man and me could be friends. I would love to hang out with him and hear some stories and listen to blues. The man has got true USA soul in him.

Weirdo he is not.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
still a good market here. super bowl sunday is the biggest day of the year for baked ****.
down south we still have a ****, muskrat, beaver, and k9 meat market.
some years it not worth it to skin and put up a animal, just sell in the round. no work and same money. i'd rather do the work, but you have to weigh out the time and money.
The market that's left it isn't worth it to me to carry them out. I skin them on the spot. beside when hunting no one to carry 5 or 6 ***** out every night. If i'm treeing i'm skinning them.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.