New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. I know none of you are lawyers, but I thought I would post this question up here first before i go get ahold of nappen......

My wife's dad passed away back in february this year. Killed himself. She has been taking it pretty rough at first (who wouldnt) but been steadily getting better. Me and her friends and family have been helping her through it

She had a normal general doctors visit that she does every year, just to get a checkup and blood work to see how her cholesterol is doing. I think nothing of it, it's just a routine checkup, like her obgyn. I happen to look at her paperwork later after the appointment and I notice something. In a part of the paperwork I see diagnosed, Depression with some numbers after that. I asked her what that was. She said she wasn't sure, the doc sat her in front of a computer after she heard about her dads death. Computer asked her like 10 questions about sleeping and energy levels and such. Afterwards she said the doc said she should go talk with a therapist or psych doctor about it. She said no she was ok and is dealing with it in her own way.

She asked me why i was upset on seeing that, and I told her I think a doctor (even a general doc) just diagnosed with you with depression and now it's on your medical records. She said so? I said I think you just got denied for new pistol permits in the future or if we move a change of address for a FID card update. Maybe not outright denied, but gonna be tons more hoops to pass through and letters from docs saying she is ok. Now she is upset.

Am I getting this right? her GP just gave her some bullshit 10 question test while having an exam, and is she legally labeled as depressed? Does she now have to answer question 26 with a yes and explanation? Or can she still say no to question 26?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
She recently had family pass. Who wouldn't be depressed? I wouldn't worry, If it becomes an obstacle later, That should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi guys. I know none of you are lawyers, but I thought I would post this question up here first before i go get ahold of nappen......

My wife's dad passed away back in february this year. Killed himself. She has been taking it pretty rough at first (who wouldnt) but been steadily getting better. Me and her friends and family have been helping her through it

She had a normal general doctors visit that she does every year, just to get a checkup and blood work to see how her cholesterol is doing. I think nothing of it, it's just a routine checkup, like her obgyn. I happen to look at her paperwork later after the appointment and I notice something. In a part of the paperwork I see diagnosed, Depression with some numbers after that. I asked her what that was. She said she wasn't sure, the doc sat her in front of a computer after she heard about her dads death. Computer asked her like 10 questions about sleeping and energy levels and such. Afterwards she said the doc said she should go talk with a therapist or psych doctor about it. She said no she was ok and is dealing with it in her own way.

She asked me why i was upset on seeing that, and I told her I think a doctor (even a general doc) just diagnosed with you with depression and now it's on your medical records. She said so? I said I think you just got denied for new pistol permits in the future or if we move a change of address for a FID card update. Maybe not outright denied, but gonna be tons more hoops to pass through and letters from docs saying she is ok. Now she is upset.

Am I getting this right? her GP just gave her some bullshit 10 question test while having an exam, and is she legally labeled as depressed? Does she now have to answer question 26 with a yes and explanation? Or can she still say no to question 26?
First thing you should worry about is your wife's depression. It can get nasty if not under control and it looks from your story she may have genetic predisposition

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. But most everyone agrees , question 26 now HAS to be answered yes. So that will require at the very least her doctor that diagnosed her with depression writing a letter saying she is ok to have firearms. And then it becomes up to the police chief to say yes or no.....

She is getting better. Anyone would be effected by that event, me included. With the help of my family and friends you can get by it just like she is.

·
Registered
752 Posts
First thing you should worry about is your wife's depression. It can get nasty if not under control and it like looks from your story she may have genetic predisposition
I am a lawyer, though you are not my client and nothing that follows constitutes legal advice. The above post is your immediate concern. Depression is serious and suicide is contagious. The mental health of your loved ones is far more important than your ability to purchase new firearms. It is unfortunate, in certain circumstances, that the fear of a second order effects prevents people from getting the help they may need. Don't let that be the case here.

As was posted above, a yes to #26 on STS 033 is not an automatic denial. If there was ever a case of mitigating circumstances, the recent and traumatic death of a parent would be seem to fit the bill. But I wouldn't worry about that now.

I'm sorry for your family's loss and I hope for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
It does not have to be answered yes. The dr is a general practioner not psych. He cannot not make a depression diagnosis based on a 10 question form. [eyeroll]

So if my dentist tells me i look a little down on my next visit, i guess i am now prohibited.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It does not have to be answered yes. The dr is a general practioner not psych. He cannot not make a depression diagnosis based on a 10 question form. [eyeroll]

So if my dentist tells me i look a little down on my next visit, i guess i am now prohibited.
Yes i think thats the problem. Question 26 was reworded to include general doctors, not just psych's. So now if you go into your regular doc for a checkup and he has you take this depression test - guess what. A doctor you saw has diagnosed you with depresion. Doesn't matter if your dog died, or you just went through a divorce, or your dad died. So be careful going to your doctors and they ask you about guns or ask you to take psych tests. Stupid thing is I asked the general doc if her next visit in 6 months she is better - can she take your test again and if everything is good - or even in a year - can you fill out a letter for us saying so. Doc said nope - it has to come from a licenses therapist or psych doc. So i told her you can diagnose her as depressed but you can't say she is fine. How does that test make you qualified to say who is depressed or not. She just said there are three standard tests, and what they say goes. So once my wife is feeling better and the event has had some time and she gets distance from it - a year or however long it takes. We are still gonna have to go see a therapist for who knows how many sessions, so we can get somebody to sign off on her saying she is ok to buy a gun.

Your wife is the major concern here and take heed depression can run in families.
I'm hoping thats not the case. She has a big family and nobody else has this problem. Her dad was 80, so we have no clue why he did what he did. No letter no nothing. We have been trying to see if maybe he got some bad news, cancer or something and at 80 he just didn't want to deal with it and checked out his own way. My wife up until this point in life was just fine. No depression or anything. So I don't think its an issue, other than she just lost her dad in a bad way.

If my dad did that I would be messed up for a while. Not forever but I'm sure I'm not gonna be that great 1-2 months after. Maybe 6 months or a year. Hell it killed me to put down my animal at the vets for months and months. If she was depressed for no reason out of the blue i would be more worried.

And thanks Fred for the advice. I talked to Nappen about the issue already and down the road when the time comes, if we can't solve it ourselves then we can get nappen or you or another lawyer to help us out. Either that or we leave NJ and not worry about that issue anymore.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
First let me wish for the best outcome for your wife with her depression. Secondly, I would say it shows she is normal by being depressed having lost her dad in such a traumatic way. That is just part of the grieving process. I would hope that any police chief would find her state normal-- but this is NJ. Good luck.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Let me first say I hope the only problem your wife may have is her gun permit.
However; reading your comments on her state of mind, “if my father died I would also be upset” indicates to me you don’t understand depression. It is not the same as being upset over your parent dying. This could be a trigger, one of the triggers or the final trigger but depression is much deeper than being upset over something, and it comes with very deep and difficult to overcome mental and behavioral changes. In most cases, after short period of time, the trigger does not even exist and depressions just feeds on itself. Make sure your wife talks to an expert,.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Dirty laundry belongs in a laundry basket, not on the Internet seeking answers from people that have no clue what they are talking about. The person you should be asking is the guy/girl that will processing the application before you submit it. They are the ones that will be handing off to their Chief for final approval based on their recommendation and administrative investigation.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
The first thing you should do is get off the site with this question. Nothing like advertising the new all over the internet. You do know there is an indefinate trail of information on the net. She should go back and see the GP and discuss how she is, if it is a normal short term depression over the death of a loved one and she is over it the doc will say that in his next visit. IMO this will not effect her unless she is continually depressed in which case you need to hold her hand and help her through it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts