New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DEP URGES NEW JERSEY RESIDENTS TO BE ALERT
BEARS ARE RE-EMERGING FROM WINTER HIBERNATION

Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Commissioner Bradley M.
Campbell is urging residents of Northern and Central New Jersey to
bear-proof the areas around their residences to prevent bear intrusions.
Further, Campbell urges residents statewide to keep an eye out for bear
sightings. As the weather continues to get warmer, black bears become
more active searching for food and mates.

"Knowing how to prevent bears from coming close to your home is the
first step toward safety," said DEP Fish and Wildlife Director Martin J.
McHugh. "One of the best ways to discourage nuisance bears is by storing
garbage properly, by keeping pets and livestock in enclosed areas, and
by keeping all food products - like bird seed - away from wildlife.
Taking preventive steps now can protect you and your family during the
spring and summer months to come."

NEVER FEED A BLACK BEAR! It's dangerous and against the law.
Violators could face a penalty of up to a $1,000 for each offense.

Remember that reducing problems with bears is a community effort. Form
a community group within your neighborhood to keep all residents safe.

Invest in bear-proof garbage containers. Store all garbage in airtight
containers with tight fitting lids in a secure area such as a basement,
the inside wall of a garage, or a shed.

Wash garbage containers frequently - at least once a week - with a
disinfectant to eliminate odors. Draping bleach-soaked cloth over
containers will also help to eliminate odors.

Put garbage out on collection day, not the evening before.

Do not place meat or sweet food scraps in compost piles.

Feed birds only between December 1 and April 1, when bears are in dens
and less likely to visit feeders.

Feed outdoor pets during daylight hours only. Immediately remove all
food scraps and bowls after feeding.

Clean outdoor grills thoroughly after each use. Grease and food residue
can attract bears.

Report bear damage or nuisance behavior to the local police department
or to the DEP's Division of Fish and Wildlife at (908) 735-8793.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Sounds like more of a pain in the arse for citizens to go through rather than just have a hunt. The only way I would change my life for a bear would be to take out the 00 and put in a slug.:D

·
11,226 Posts
I got this e-mailed sent to me today also....Kinda late for a warning when a dog in Rockaway, a dog in Mountain Lake and a horse in Andover have already been attacked! Campbell is such an ass![down]

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I dont live in a bear area but after reading that statement it is saying that you have to alter your life just because of the bears this in the same guy that says there are very few bears.
You shouldnt even feed the birds what a joke, instead of hunting for them and reducing the numbers
he puts out a stupid warning like this.
Campbell sucks hopefully a bear eats him.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I can't believe the idiocy of some people.

On one hand, there can be no bear hunt in NJ because the numbers are not consistent with hunt.

On the other hand, the numbers are so high that we need to be fearful of hungry bears leaving their dens.

Which one is it?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Not eat him (Campbell)Hungry and Horny! Get's him. Lawyers should not be in charge of making or controlling laws. This should be a law! Job security. Save the states, spay or nueter a liberal and open a season on lawyers they have a breeding population.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I think legislation is in the works in the State Senate to enact legislation that would create a "bird feeding season between December 1st and April 1st" so that bears will stay away from homes...wink wink...What a crock...Preventative measures can be taken, but to what extent? No matter how many precautions people take there will still be encounters. The only thing we can do is to try and reduce the number of encounters by taking some precatuions that aren't too outlandish and by most importantly reducing the bear population in NJ. When are they going to realize that a bear hunt is the only way to manage the population to keep it at acceptable levels? If the antis continue to stop the hunt we will end up having to bear proof our homes!!!!!! The antis would love it if one of these cuddly bears was living in everyone's back yard so they could see them all the time...But as everyone knows bears are wild animals and are unprecdeictable to even the most knowledgable bear expert. Campbell needs to realize that we must manage the bear pop. or some citizen will suffer the consequences. You can only educate the general public to a certain extent. We all can't be bear behavioral experts. NJ needs a hunt!!!

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
sorry for the bad grammar in the first sentence...didnt proof read...but u guys get the gist...I was too fired up after reading the original post that i wanted to voice my opinion asap!!!!!!

·
11,226 Posts
The way I see it I have to keep my garbage in my house so the bears wont find it. Then I have to keep my slider and windows closed so the smell doesn't escape the house and attract the bears who will break through a screen door or window for a free meal. Now I'm stuck in a hot smelly house. My kids can't play outside without the fear of a bear smelling PB&J on thier shirts from lunch! I can't enjoy a bird feeder or grow a garden. I should cut down all the oak trees so I don't get any acorns in the yard.ect..ect... So glad I don't live in a city where I can't enjoy the outdoors, fresh air and nature!
Birth control will not put the fear of man back in the beast! Bears need to learn being around people is a bad thing! Bears need to be hunted to reduce there numbers and teach them people = getting shot at![mad][mad][mad][mad] They need to fear people or they will just keep getting bolder and they will cause a lot of problems!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts