New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, folks.

Well, I applied for my initial FPIC on Feb 29th. Received the letter today for denial.

Ill give you the fat-and-skinny:

I'm 40 years YOUNG right now. I have an arrest record. The most prior arrest was over 12 years ago.
In short, my record looks as such:

3 possessions (marijuana) charges, and one 'weapons' charge..... I know, hear me out, Im not nuts....

4 arrests, with ZERO convictions. The weed charges were dropped because the person who owned it each time fessed up to it (thank the good Lord)
The "weapons" charge (1991. 18yrs old) was the result of a pump pellet rifle. I know NOW that pellet guns are considered "firearms" in NJ but didnt know THEN. I was in my gf's house and heard yelling in front of her house. Looked out, knew the kids so I went out. Apparently, they were fighting someone and stashed the BB gun under MY car when the police arrived. Cop asked whos car this is. I said MINE. Not thinking anything of it. Cuffs slapped on, then I was told about the BB gun. Arresting officer was my neighbor growing up, too. I was best friends with his brother. He was a new cop, tho, with something to prove I guess, and I was the scapegoat.
End of the day, I was acquitted and no conviction against me.

The denial form from the police, which I received about 42 minutes ago, stated I was denied because:

"....of prior weapons charge involving a HANDGUN."

"You can appeal this decision to the Supreme Court." (he even spelled court wrong on the form. Total moron.

Anyways......since, the PD is telling me i was charged "with a handgun offense" that tells me that they did NO homework because I know, for a fact, the arrest report stated it was a BB "RIFLE" because I remember reading it after he wrote it.

So...............I do the counsel hunt. Most want $3k PLUS to expunge (i know, too late) and appeal.
Being a 40yr old man, TRYING to buy his first home and have a baby with my new wifey, I cant really swing that without losing the wife. (I still like her, and she still likes me, so, were good, lol)

Is the SOLO appeal approach feasible, or should I not bother considering the cloudy waters with the arrest history?
If thats the case, can any of you guys point an old guy in the right direction to quality counsel at a more "strapped friendly" price?

I appreciate the looks and leads, in advance.

Target/Trapshooting is the ONLY thing my Father and I have in common (other than serving. Him Air Force VietNam, me, USMC, FMF Pac 1994-1998) and Im afraid he's not getting any younger and neither am I.

Appreciate your time.

Regards.

Ryan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to Evan, and, if I could afford him, he's my guy. I was impressed with his knowledge and advice. I tried three, today, and he was my top choice. But, man, is that $3k PLUS price tag the going rate out there for this???

(thank you for the reply, although its hard to focus with that avatar.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL

ah touche....

you, know, you might be right, but living at mom and pops house and driving a beat up olds tends to free up some 'spendable cash'

:D

cmon....you remember THOSE days dontcha? Spendable Cash?

:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, from the Durty Jerz, Sarge.

(and Corporal, thank you. ;) The Navy gives us rides and the Army's around so we have someone to steal gear from.....errr.....I mean ACQUIRE.

:)

side note:

Any of you guys ever hear of someone counter suing the denying dept for costs occurred during the appeals process. Especially since Im having to go thru this because they didn't want to do any homework. (painfully obvious) They saw the charge and put me in the "Hold" file.
This is gonna be a kick in my wallet. I wouldn't even bother, except I like seeing my pops smile, and, I think thats EXACTLY what they want to happen. (me giving up)
For those two reasons alone, Im going thru with this appeals process.
The more of us that roll over the easier it is to come a grabbin in the future.

Thanks, guys, for the responses. Even the sarcastic ones. I need a good laugh...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Spend the $ on Napen and get it taken care of right.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Honest I dont have a clue what your talking about but I will assume your still puffing the magic dragon with the denial letter in your hand [smoke]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol. nah, magic dragon flew the coop over a decade ago. I shook that crowd and Im much better for it.

Its sounding more and more like Evan's my guy. I know you pay for quality, but, damn!
Hearing nothing but good about this guy.....

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
You should have let them convict you & then got it expunged.. Would have been cheaper in long run

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tell me about it. that hindsight thing. yeah, always 20/20.

Just irks me to no end that this is going to cost me 3.5k because the local PD cant do their damn job correctly. Id love to find a lawyer that would be willing to counter sue them for the costs Im going to incur over this.

What ever happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty?
Does that exist anymore?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
we need to slap each and every person that votes democrat in this state. Its not only the gun rights, its many other issues that more resembles Europa that America.

Sorry for the rants, guys. I served this country honorably, and happily. This is not the country I had in mind while serving. I would have hoped a veteran with documented rifle skills and an honorable discharge would have been treated a little better than this.

Anyone every hear of someone doing this appeal thing on their own and winning? (somewhat similar circumstances would be a bonus.)

Thanks, for your ears, folks.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I assume your dad know of your situation? Just explain to him the situation, let him purchase the gun and ammo and start saving up for the lawyer. FWIW, 3K for a lawyer to this the right way for you is a bargain.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I was denied my NJ FPID card. I exponged my convictions, and then I applied again (not appealed). I then received my card.

I did the expongement myself. All through the mail, never went to the court house. Easy. Cheap. Took approx 2.5 months.

Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I assume your dad know of your situation? Just explain to him the situation
This is, basically, the reason we started to drift apart. He knows the history, and being the disciplined man he is, he took my dumbass mistakes personal. Our love of target shooting endures, tho, and I really want to encourage that with minimal drag on him, and bad memories of the past.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts