New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that just started hunting this year. He is really one of those guys that watch youtube all the time and think he has everything down to the "t". I tried to guide him on how to find pinch points, transitions and stand placements. The bare essentials to get a deer to walk under his stand or close enough for a shot. His woods behind his house is a friggin doe sanctuary. I tried to tell him not to shoot the does at this time of year if your looking to take a buck. He doesn't listen because he knows everything about hunting from magazines and youtube. Well he decided to go 20minutes away to another location only because he has a guy from work that tells him that there is a large amount of does. I told him uh duh you have the setup in your backyard idiot. Now there are scrapes and rubs showing up in his property but he doesnt see it. Well two nights ago he shoots at a large doe with a xbow. He doesnt know if he hit it or not, i ask him if he needs help he tells me he has it under control. Well next day he tells me he couldnt find so his buddy from work finds it 200yds from where it was shot. Yotes tore it to shreds. I asked if he called it into G/F, he tells me no because the yotes ate it. Well he just now texted me saying he killed a big body doe and is trying to gut it. I asked if he needed help he tells me he has it under control. Twenty minutes later he asked where is the heart and lungs i cant find it in the deer! I just laugh and said look on youtube. He then tells me he needs a butcher to take the deer to and ask where he should go. Next question that i ask is did you call it in for a confirmation number, hes reply is yea i think i did ( that tells me no he didnt ). I told him he needs to have that number to give to the butcher or they wont take the deer. His zone that he is hunting only allows two deer. My question to you guys is he should be done hunting that zone correct? He should have called the first one in even though it was mauled by yotes. I have this feeling he is poaching deer in the long run just because he can take deer and not think no one knows.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you care, he has it under control. Just wait until he starts duck hunting.
Why do I care maybe because i think this guy could be doing it alot better by not going against the rules. I hate to see him get slammed by the law on his first year hunting if he is poaching. Sorry if my ethics are not as low and cold as yours!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Why do I care maybe because i think this guy could be doing it alot better by not going against the rules. I hate to see him get slammed by the law on his first year hunting if he is poaching. Sorry if my ethics are not as low and cold as yours!
Untwist the panties and relax. I was kidding. How close a friend is he? If he's a real good buddy, go over, sit him down and shake the shit out of him. Tell him he's being a total idiot. If he's nog that good a friend, call it in. Waddaya want from us?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My cousin is like that too… Watches tv and youtube too much. The only thing is he plays by the rules and is ethical. Usually I'm the one telling him what the rules are because he won't read the compendium but i can work with that. Patience is the key. Right now I'm dealing with Buck fever. He tells me our spot sucks and he's not seeing deer except for does and bucks on cam at night. He's putting all kinds of attracts, bait, lures,scents you name it. I moved far from him for that reason. He thinks bucks are easy to kill. Be patient and guide him the right way

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
You need a new friend. Sounds like the kind of jerk off I try to avoid. Let him go down in flames...he deserves it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.