New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went last night to purchase my first handgun in this wonderful state of corruption. My paperwork was submitted at around 430-5pm and in about an hour went into the status of "delayed". I had just got my FID and handgun permit from the PD that same day and went straight to the gun shop to get a handgun so my record is quite obviously still clean. The shop said it could be a number of reasons which are t disclosed when it's put into that status. On NICS I'm 470 something for the day and the other 6 guys who applied after me Weren't approved by the end of business (8pm). So I called in today around 11 and my status is still delayed. This is absolute bullshit.

Has anybody else recently dealt with this? Is there anything I can do besides hurry up and wait??

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
3 years ago I dealt with that, it took a full 3 business days at simen Peter sport shop in Andover NJ, to finally be cleared.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 years ago I dealt with that, it took a full 3 business days at simen Peter sport shop in Andover NJ, to finally be cleared.
I couldn't believe after the process I had just gone through I had to pay another $15 to get another background check. This is insane.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don't sweat it, it will be done most likely today. During the Newtown rush checks were up to almost two weeks. Due to the budget crunch and no OT from the AG's office, checks are taking longer. Also, probably some left over from the weekend This is NJ, only state where they are doing you the favor, if you know what I mean

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Happened to me a couple years back if you remember when the NJSP system was backed up. I think I waited 5 days to get a shotgun. And this is one reason why the last time I bought a gun I went to Cabelas in DE. Didn't have to pay that crap extra $15 or whatever it is for the NJ NICS check. Just one more barrier NJ puts in front of you to try to stop you from getting a gun. I hate this state.

·
Registered
125 Posts
got caught at Pro Bass by the wife while waiting for my check to process. At least the salesman went along with the ploy that the gun I was buying was on sale for 150 bucks.. Really 650.00.

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Happened to me two weeks ago. Delayed on Friday and picked up Gun on Sunday. And this was a gun we got from Bud's. Total BS like you say. Did you know in some states once you get your CCW you don't get NICS anymore. Same should apply for NJFPIDC.

·
Registered
410 Posts
This seems to be the new normal. I have not bought a gun in several years. When I did, several times, NICS took 5 minutes. Before I buy again, I am going to ask if they will proceed with the sale if they do not get a response in 3 days.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NICS checks are ok IMO because A guy with a FID could go tomorrow and beat the hell out of his wife and kids then purchase a gun the next day with a dirty record. The NICS is suppose to help prevent that but it hurts us good guys more than the bad guys. IMO, if you come back with a clean record you get your check expedited each time and aren't charged the $15. If you come back dirty, you're paying and not getting your weapon.

Reactions: Oldwick1975

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Yea well PA would have the sheriffs officers at your house taking your card the next day (permit to carry there)
Stop using Smoking Gun for a reference!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea well PA would have the sheriffs officers at your house taking your card the next day (permit to carry there)
Stop using Smoking Gun for a reference!
Haha that's probably my issue right there

·
Registered
495 Posts
I couldn't believe after the process I had just gone through I had to pay another $15 to get another background check. This is insane.
You haven't seen anything yet. There are some 70 new bills being awakened in New Jersey legislation right now, each with a new twist on "gun safety" that will prove to make things more difficult for law-abiding gun owners by 2018.

Christie's dismal showing in Iowa is the setup for his crash and burn in New Hampshire. Once he gets spanked there he'll run back to New Jersey as a lame duck governor. His vetoes if he has any more left, will be on borrowed time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
happened to me a couple months ago. drove 40 minutes to sportsmancenter to pick up my 220 and drove back 40 minutes without my gun after I waited there for a couple hours being on the "delayed status". Then had to make another round trip to get my gun that I should have received the first time

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Christie's dismal showing in Iowa is the setup for his crash and burn in New Hampshire. ......
I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

Christie didn't stand a chance in Iowa .... he doesn't do the phoney-baloney Christian act like Trump and Cruz do. And, he knew he didn't stand a chance.

New Hampshire is the big test for all the moderates.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Happened to me two weeks ago. Delayed on Friday and picked up Gun on Sunday. And this was a gun we got from Bud's. Total BS like you say. Did you know in some states once you get your CCW you don't get NICS anymore. Same should apply for NJFPIDC.
CCP, no bs you're already approved...

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I had something similar a few years back. My status was "pending" for about 3 hours then it went through.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts