New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,119 Posts
You guys may have missed a BIG point made in the article:

In the path of the Delaware flood waters of September 2004 along with last month was the Mancinis' trout hatchery. When the river flooded, the Mancinis could do nothing. For the thousands of trout they'd raised at the Pohatcong hatchery -- a facility separated from the river by little more than a railroad right-of-way -- the incredible floods meant emancipation.

Last month's flood might have been a few feet higher than its predecessor, but Jeff Mancini said the main damage was done in September. "I lost almost everything in that September flood," he said. "There was almost 10 feet of water over the top of the hatchery. It was major, and there was no way to stop it. All the species got out."
Wouldn't those fish be in the Pohatcong Creek and Delaware River, not the Musky?

That is unless the Musky runs through a portion of Pohatcong Twp. - I don't know where the hatchery is located.

If I remember correctly, the lower section of Pohatcong Creek (where it dumps in the Delaware)is owned by a fishing club and is private property which is no longer stocked by the state in that section of the creek.

Please feel forrect me if I'm wrong.

· Registered
1,119 Posts
The hatchery is still listed in Asbury, NJ, but may have had a satellite facility on the Pohatcong Creek in the Pohatcong Twp. area - I've been trying to research the area via Skylands websites and Mapquest.

I know that Pohatcong Creek is above the Musky and that it is very close to Phillipsburg which is in Pohatcong Twp.

From the best I can tell, Asbury, NJ is not in Pohatcong Twp., so either the newspaper got the location wrong OR Musky Trout Hatchery, Inc. had a satellite facility on Pohatcong Creek.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.