New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a list of names and numbers of dog handlers that are permitted to assist in tracking a wounded deer. Too often there are posts on here about folks losing a blood trail/ sign of the wounded animal. It is our obligation to ensure all avenues must be exhausted before ending the search for the animal. This service has been put in place, and far too often it is not used. I personally have never used them but know several people who have, two with found deer and one who can consciously say he did everything possible to recover the deer.

Handler Contact Information

TRACKING DOG/HANDLER CONTACT LIST

1. Darren Doran
1142 Church La
East Brunswick NJ 08816
908 331 2

1. Darren Doran 1142 Church La East Brunswick NJ 08816 908 331 2041 [email protected]

2. Rich Stolery 42 Ross Hall Blvd North Piscataway NJ 08854 908 347 2844 [email protected]

3. Andy Bensing 1411 Cross Keys Rd Reading PA 19605 610 413 7094 [email protected]

4. Stan Kite 69 W.Supawna Rd Pennsvile NJ 08070 cell 856 364 5551
home 856 9351484 [email protected]

5. Joseph Lowery17 Crestridge Dr.Bridgeton NJ 08302cell 856 498 0563 [email protected]

6. Nola Wunderlich 300 Roseville Rd Andover NJ 07821 [email protected]

7. Sherry L. Ruggieri 215 Twin Lakes Drive Mantua NJ 08051 609 313 5484 [email protected]

8. John Drahos 28 Clonial Dr.Oceanport,NJ 07757 732 996 4967 [email protected]

9. Arthur Garey Jr.9 Elmwood Dr Tabernacle NJ 08088 609 268 0892 [email protected]

10. Jeremy Garey 202 Villlas Court Atco NJ 08004 856 834 8588 [email protected]

11. Richard RA Dotzenrod 105 S 13th St Easton PA 18042 908 878 7376908 878 7376[email protected]

·
Registered
750 Posts
i just used rich and his dog 2 weeks ago, awesome dog and amazing how he managed to stay on a blood trail that was 3 days old and it rained on one of the days in between...we didn't not recover the deer but that was my own fault for waiting too long to call rich (lesson learned don't wait) If you are going to use them you need to call them asap so that the blood trail is still fresh!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Whats the current status of this program, is it statewide or still only legal in some countys?

Also are they allowed to charge for their services yet? I believe they should be, I would hate to see these guys spend hours with a hunter and get stiffed by some cheapskates.

·
Registered
750 Posts
im pretty sure their legal through out the whole state, they actually have to fill out a form for the state on where you shot the deer, with what you shot it with, and where you think you hit the deer.. they then call the state to tell them where they are and give their permit number...no they do not charge but you really should take care of them for coming out .

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The handlers are not allowed to charge for tracking, but maybe a few bucks for gas or a sandwich and soda might be accepted? Doesn't hurt to ask. My buddy used Andy who drove all the way out from reading pa to Somerset county, when asked if they could give gas money he thanked them but declined the offer.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Its a great service but I cant imagine why they cant charge. This is NJ, only the air is free, everything else costs. I'm sure a fair fee would help cover costs and allow them to help more hunters than only doing it in their spare time.

Never used these guys yet but would like to thank each one for helping so many desperate hunters out, great job guys.

Just my opinion but to me $100. tip/fee should be minimum depending on time, distance, recovery, etc. A $20.00 tip would hardly cover gas and is an insult IMO

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Its a great service but I cant imagine why they cant charge. This is NJ, only the air is free, everything else costs. I'm sure a fair fee would help cover costs and allow them to help more hunters than only doing it in their spare time.

Never used these guys yet but would like to thank each one for helping so many desperate hunters out, great job guys.

Just my opinion but to me $100. tip/fee should be minimum depending on time, distance, recovery, etc. A $20.00 tip would hardly cover gas and is an insult IMO
IMO alot of guys complain about the cost of permits etc. what makes you think that they would pay $100 plus to recover a deer.

·
Registered
705 Posts
IMO alot of guys complain about the cost of permits etc. what makes you think that they would pay $100 plus to recover a deer.

I'm one of the guys that think the cost of deer licenses and permits are way too expensive. But that has little to do with expecting a guy to spend all his time tracking deer for free.

Its a service like any other, plumber, landscaper, etc. Nobody should expect to call up a stranger and ask them to spend hours of their time only for a handshake. If somebody cant afford it or is too cheap to pay that's their problem to figure out, nobody elses.

Many years ago I hit the shoulder blade and single lunged the biggest buck of my life. I spent days searching but never found him or seen him again. It kept me up at night and my stomach was in a knot for days. If somebody could of came out and found that buck for me I would be absolutely delighted to pay him for his work.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I remember correctly, Jakesbeard may be able to add specifics concerning the dog handlers inability to accept a monetary exchange for their service. Although one would think it would be common sense to see they get compensated for their service, they may get some kind of reimbursement through the state? I'm unsure how it works, but there is an association for the blood tracking dogs that I'm sure would graciously accept a donation to the foundation. I'll try and post the link to the blood trackers,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.