New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST PULLED A DEER TICK OUT OF MY CHEST, CALLED THE DOCTOR AND I HAVE TO START MEDICATION NOW. I CANT BELIEVE THIS I AM ALWAYS SO CAREFUL ABOUT THEM[down]

B

·
0 Posts
Tommy man Im sorry to hear that[down] well at least you found it fast and got medical help. Last week I had ticks all over my camo after gutting that 5 pointer

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just some educating info:

Lyme's is pretty dangerous stuff that all hunters should be aware of. Worked at a doc's office for a while, and saw many cases come in. Most times if you KNOW you are bitten by a tick, you have to wait a few days to see if any symptoms occur. Check for a rash/target shaped ring within 48-72 hours of bite. If you see one, go to your doc immediately. Sometimes the rash doesn't show, but if you start to develop flu like symptoms after being bitten, go see your doctor too. It is treatable in the early stages, but if you let it go too long, can cause serious damage, and you'll be on life long meds. Know a guy just recently who had cardiac problems due to lyme's. You can also get a blood test to see if you are infected, but I think you have to give it a few days of the bite in order for it to show up on the blood test. Anyway, here's a website... gotta keep up on those ticks... tricky little dangerous buggers.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/lyme.htmlhttp://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/lyme.html

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THE PROBLEM IS I DONT KNOW HOW LONG IT WAS IN THERE, BUT HE STARTED ME ON (DOXYCYCLINE) 100 MG FOR 10 DAYS.[up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
NJFarmGirl,

I was under the impression it wasnt all that serious. CARDIAC PROBLEMS????

Oh geez, time to get checked. I never go to doctors, and Ive found these stupid things in me so many times Ive stopped looking. They are TINY and hard to find.....I figured the symptoms I was experiencing were Lyme disease, but that it was the worst it would cause. My brother had it a while back, and had bells paulsey (sp) (parylization of half his face) My symptoms include severe stiffness/soreness in joints, constant fatigue, and headaches. I can live with all of those symptoms, but if it is gonna get worse. I may have to get checked out and see if I can get some medication I guess.[confused] I hate medicine and going to doctors.
:eek:[down]

Oh yeah, I forgot that my dog had it bad too. He was so sick we thought he was gonna die. :( Hes fine now....

Lets say Ive had it for a little over two years now, is that too long for it to be treatable with short-term meds? Or would I need long-term medication?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yah just get it checked out. I mean, all those symptoms could POSSIBLY be due to something else (for example, stress). But it's always better to be on the safeside, especially went exposed to a large amount of ticks. Not all ticks carry the disease, and not all hunters get lyme's when bitten. It's always just safe to get a blood test to rule it out. Doctors aren't so bad... if you find the right one :)

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Just to be honest, I will probably procrastinate and put this off until I die. Thats just the way I am when it comes to this stuff. Thats why I never went in the first place.

By the way, are you a med student or something?

Or am I taking advice from someone who stayed in a Holiday Inn last night. HAHAHAHAHA:D:D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Matty guess you missed the first Tick post at the beginning of the season but I warned folks then about lyme's too. Go get checked!

Had a patient at our office that got it and didn't know it and 2 years later was having central nervous system problems...first they thought she was just losing it mentally until they finally did a lyme's test. She was still on meds 3 years later when I left the practice. It only gets worse the longer you let it go.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I used to be a Pre-vet student until I realized I didn't wanna spend loads of money for school, only to make (edit) money and have (edit) hours.

My mom is a doctor, and went to med school later in life, so fortunately I got to grow up helping her stufy for exams and seeing cool stuff in anatomy labs.

procrastinate and put this off until I die
The longer you wait, the sooner you may die and miss out on some trophies :) But hey, guess we all gotta die of something someday... ;) I was hoping I'd die from some cool freak accident, not from a stupid tick bite tho..

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
My fathers friend has Lyme disease, and he can barely hunt anymore. He was the most dedicated hunter, and now he can only get out here and again[sad]

·
11,226 Posts
I was hoping I'd die from some cool freak accident
Care to give an example of a cool freak accident that would be worthy of your death!!![confused]
I'll settle for dying of old OLD age! As many years hunting as I can get from this sick joke called life!;)[up]

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i saw my first tick of the season on sunday. i had it crawling on me. it's been a weird season for me with the ticks, i haven't been seeing them! with all that warm temps we had i was surprised. even the 2 does i got didn't have ticks on them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
No prob.... Just wanna keep my hunters safe... they need to be out there controlling our wildlife numbers :) Maybe they should invent tick collars for humans?? (or do they have them?!) hehe.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
It takes 6 weeks for Lyme to show in blood tests so it takes a while. Anyone that even sees a tick that has bitten them is fortunate. They are so small and only stay attached for a short period before falling off. To make matters even complicated the bulls-eye rash is not even a certainty. It appears in 80% of cases. [down][sad]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts