New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of doe urine / doe estrus works here in new jersey? They always have shelves of scents. Also when do you start using them and using calls?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Drome, calling can work year round, it just depends on the calls you use.

If you are buck hunting now, use soft, short, subordinant grunts this time of year. Try tickling some rattling antlers together too. No major fights, but just some "friendly sparring". As the rut approaches, kick up the intensity of the fights, make the grunting more aggressive, and add in some doe in heat bleats.

As for scent, Ive found that Pete Rickards scents work well, and Ive also had luck with Tinks 69. They also seem to like the cheap Knight & Hale scents.

The trick to using scents is to use just a little bit. Remember a deers sense of smell is 1000's of times better than ours, so if we can smell it, its gonna blow their nostrils out!

Use dominant buck urine from now till the end of October. Drip it in scrapes, drag it down trails, etc.
Then start using doe estrous throughout November, drip it, drag it, hang it, and wait for the action to begin.

Scents used in conjunction with calling are very bad for the resident big bucks health. Hes almost sure to have a stabbing pain through both lungs if you use those tactics properly.;)

My personal advice to you would be to start a scrape somewhere near that rub you posted. Put a dripper over it, dripping dominant buck urine in the scrape. Let it sit for about a week without hunting it. Try to pick an overcast day with the correct wind direction and sit the stand all day. If you are confident in your calling, let out a few soft grunts throughout the day. (Calling every few hours is best, because hes probably nearby)

Hope that helps====Matt[up]

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any of you guys tutor in calling? I bought a true talker call.

Also I have one of those scrape drip bags.

You don't think dominant buck scent will scare him away? Especially if it was bottled from some bruiser out of state?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Dominant buck urine really just means that the urine came from a buck that is mature, and urinated heavily on his hock (Tarsal) glands. This creates a very musky scent.

No way for them to tell how big he was antler or body wise, just that he thinks hes dominant. If this buck is tearing up trees and making scrapes, he thinks hes dominant as well, and he will more than likely want to meet the "intruder".

As for call tutoring, I was actually thinking of putting together some videos with Dragthor that he could post on here for the newbies. What do you think? Would that interest you? I guess I should mention it to Kris first huh?:D

Two years ago, I had planned on putting together a hunting/instructional video to sell...but finding a production company that was affordable, and would do "explicit kill scenes" was too hard.:( Someday I hope!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would def. be interested in that. I'm going to check my trail cam tommorow, and if hes still coming to the bait, especially at the same time, I'm not going to put the scrape drip bag out until after saturday. Dont want to disrupt his pattern at all.

Ever think of producing the video (except for the m [no swearing please] copy) yourself? I have a few connects from college that do production work. From what they showed me its not to hard if you know how to work a computer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts