New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon, in a field not too far from my house, I saw a few deer eating as they always do. But then I noticed something weird. I've never seen it before in any show or in the wild. It was a good sized buck, standing with all 4 legs together, and his tail straight out as if he was a dog pointing out a bird.

What the heck was he doing?
David

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Urinating over his tarsel glands.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
You mean sorta like this ?

A friend got this pix of a small buck freshing up his scrape. He was " leaving his scent " at the time the pix was taken.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
If it was pretty far away, you might not have been able to see it, but it sounds like it was urinating on its hock glands (tarsal glands).

Unusual place to do that, as they normally do it over scrapes or when they *first get out of their bed. (*whatever time of day that may be)

When you said posturing, I thought for sure you were gonna say it was sidestepping stiff leggedly at you with its ears laid back. If that ever happens, PRAY!!! :eek:

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
not if he is a young buck 1 1/2.
[confused] Huh?

Young bucks urinate on their tarsals too, just not as frequently as older bucks. Its a display of dominance, not age. When the urine mixes with a waxy secretion from the gland, it causes a very musky scent that is a sign of dominance.

If you have a population with very few mature bucks, 1.5 year old deer will become dominant breeders. They have to. Also, some deer are just more dominant minded than others. Its like people, they all have different attitudes.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Young bucks urinate on their tarsals too, just not as frequently as older bucks. Its a display of dominance, not age. When the urine mixes with a waxy secretion from the gland, it causes a very musky scent that is a sign of dominance.
Actually, they do it to keep their hoofs warm....:D

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NS911,

Yup, that was it. Cool! Thanks for the info all.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts