New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that the deer in my area are on full alert for hunters. The does are starting to herd up I saw 4 groups on Monday including a herd of 10. Before they would enter the area, they would scan the entire area, even looking in trees. I haven't hunted this area in 2 months so they havent been feeling the pressure from this spot. I have also noticed the bucks are not moving until dusk or dawn. I am afraid that the surrounding pressure of gun seasons have made them nocturnal. I have also noticed the deer behind my house are spending most of the day in the bedding area and moving very little during the day. Also the only time I am seeing the bucks around the house is after night fall..Have you been observing the same in your areas??

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I think the warm spell will have a greater affect on their feeding.

I saw a nice herd out in Colts Neck Christmas Eve at 2 pm.

If temps start to drop overnight, you'll see more daylight activity.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I think the warm spell will have a greater affect on their feeding.
I agree. It needs to get COLD again. When it does, they will move before dark. Some snow cover would help as well. No snow down here.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
It's the same in Randolph- saw lots of deer during the two cold days after the snow- when its 15 or less there on the move early so you can still get a shot. Now you have to get as close to the bedding area as possible. I'm afraid most of the racks will drop off before the next real cold front which is at least another week off if not longer. I expect more sightings around the full moon on the 14th.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Your deer probably are molested and they have patterned you or others that pursued them.As it gets cold they will feed more. A deer eats a lot and it was that very feeding routine in the warm months that will allow them to survive the winter months if the food gets scarce. They yard up for warmth and protection even though its to much stress on them and compotition. That's why hunters have to change with the seasons to be a well balanced all season hunter.Hunting is like a job you only get out what you put into it.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
This is the best time to use bait, mostly corn for the energy it will give the deer ( before everyone goes off on baiting this is not a debate )the deer run in herds for warmth and more eyes to see danger coming. If you do bait you should see more deer in the later months of winter JAN/FEB.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
If you start feeding deer during the harsh months of winter, please continue to feed them until spring.

If you stop feeding them suddenly, they can become sick and die.:(

G

·
very true Matty......I remember years ago the state telling people not to feed the deer beacuse of this, now they allow us to bait, typical state workers never got a correct answer

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Saw two spike bucks off the Palisades Parkway yesterday ay 4.30pm at Exit 5N. Looked totally unalert!!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
The deer in my yard seem to bed down behind the house most of the day. I have been noticing a lot of droppings in the yard. I think the bucks around here are noctural. I don't see them during the day.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Saw two spike bucks off the Palisades Parkway yesterday ay 4.30pm at Exit 5N. Looked totally unalert!!
Yeah if I was a buck in Bergen County I would be totally unalert too. Might get hit with a golf ball though :D:D

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
You know it! These deer live right off Rt 303N and the Palisades Parkway in a tiny patch that is maybe 3 acres. Very strange!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts