New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used the " deer locators " that locate deer by their heat signature. I remember trying one when they first came out, and I dam near fell over the deer before it went off.
Have they improved any ?
I haven't heard anyone on the boards say they located a deer with one this year.
Any comments ?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
if it works while the deer is dead, why can't it work while they are alive?
I have often thought that about these devices. I would imagine it could work like a fish finder and make hunting a little easier. Not just for deer either, all game. Kind of takes the sport out of it doesn't it?

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But that's the question, do they work when looking for a dead deer ?
I've been thinking about getting one. Figured I'd tell Mrs. NS to go hide in a briar patch while I try out the Locator.
If it can't find a human, It's not going to work on a deer.
Oh, I told her that clothing might mask the heat signature, so she would have to lay in the briar patch NAKED :p:p:p:p
You don't want to know what she said to that !!

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just thinking that sometimes when the blood trail gets really hard to follow, that this " device " might help recover a deer that might otherwise be lost

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I'm just thinking that sometimes when the blood trail gets really hard to follow, that this " device " might help recover a deer that might otherwise be lost
I agree that it could help in recovering an otherwise lost deer. But don't you think others may try to use it similiar to a fish finder. It should work. Some of those devices have long ranges.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My friend has one it works in the cold. But after a warm day the thing lights up at pine trees that have been basking in the sun all day.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I have one and never located a downed deer yet with it. It has a setup where you can psition it on a trail and it will light up like a fish finder when a deer is aproaching. I've tried it on animals or people I could see but can't find things hidden. The video that came with it says you need practice. It has alot of different modes and functions. I guess if you devoted time to learning it works. To me it's more like calculos.(sp)I keep it in the truck most times when there's no snow on the ground, just in case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts