New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went scouting the other day (Sunday).
Boo coo activity.

My buddy Andy and I (During his first ever scouting trip, new hunter) scared up 7 doe's and had a stare down with two of them. We then crossed into the fields and headed towards the wooded area following a fire trail that bordered the field.

Andy spotted them first. 5 different doe's. We stalked within 25 yards of them and then the darn wind changed direction! We again stared down a doe that scented us. She snorted the air but did not stomp. After 10 minutes of trying to catch us moving she continued to graze with the others. After they left we checked out the swamp and found the highway the deer used to get there.

It was a great day and a lot learned by both the new hunter Andy and myself.

They are out there gents!

Come on October 1st!

RW3
[up]

·
Registered
942 Posts
Ray are talking about the fields off 539 ..If so I hunt off the second field for ML..I got a nice 8 pointer last year and the year before a good Y buck on a drive..Maybe I'll see ya out there..[up]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Tommy I am talking about the fields (and old abandoned cranberry bogs) off of Howardsville Road right where you have to make a left or you will be at the dead end. Making the left will take you out to 539 right around where your feilds are located.

I KNOW where you are talking about and it is a gold mine for deer! My father got a non-typical deer during shotgun that looks like its mother mated with a moose! BIG WEBS between points. We also harvested a beautiful 6 pointer with very long tines.

Stop into the club! Mile marker 14/5 on 72 make a right. I will be there camping this Saturday night with 10 others.

RW3

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went to check out my hunting spot. It looks like the state is chaseing the quads out [up]
Does anyone have any suggestions on deer that hit bait only at night?

·
Registered
139 Posts
i hunt in 21 off of lacey rd.the deer are incredible there 20 to 30 does in the area/ive taken huge 8 pointer seen a huge 12 pointer this year plenty of venison in the fridge

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
hey pineybuck try buying a cheap bucket feeder like a moultrie around 30$. the kind that goes off only 1/2 before sunrise and a 1/2 hour after sunset.that might condition the deer but no guarantees.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am going scouting / setting up on tuesday. I can't wait to get in the woods finally, even if its just for that. I plan on making another trip in two weeks before the season starts to refresh my bait and maybe set up a second stand.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
never hurts to have more than one stand. the chiggers are bad so make sure to use rubber boots and permanone spray on your cloths the night before you go. i hate those bugs !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I always have ticks on me. Those things freak me out. If it wasn't for them I be in the woods all summer.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
saw quite a few deer yesterday late afternoon. i guess after the storm was done they came out to eat. i saw 2 spikes and a bunch of does with fawns. no monsters.the storm beat the brush and leaves down pretty good. it looked more like october in the woods. doesnt look like the state is planting any fields again this year. at least i havent found anything. i did see where someone dumped a sail boat in front of one of the fields. these were the fields off 539 and near the fire tower. my trail camera has only 2 pictures on it and its been out a week. usually the whole roll is done in that time. if i get anything good i will post.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I once in awhile take the drive down Howardsville Road and always see signs of deer all over. Just wondering how it is to hunt that area during the 6 day firearm season.Last year during opening day I took a ride down the road and only a few cars were there.Is it heavily hunted by clubs ? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
those clubs drive the hell out of those woods. they are also not the nicest people you will meet from my years experience.these are the types who probably only hunt one week out of the year and do it more as a social thing.i seen them with scoped slug guns and cant understand it.doesnt seem like the safest thing. if you gotta hunt there go deep and stay in all day. they tend to drive the easier areas multiple times.one club after another.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts