New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriends brothers said to me that we live in the only county with no deer. (Hudson county)I just would like to know if that is true. So i need help from you guys. Mainly the southern part of the state. I know the northern pretty well.

B

·
0 Posts
Hudson County has deer, not many but they are there, also let them know that all counties in NJ had a bear in it

·
Registered
876 Posts
If there is habitat left somewhere there then probably yes.
As far as hunting is concerned, there hasn't been a deer recorded killed in Hudson county as far back as data is available.

B

·
0 Posts
I never saw them myself. I did see it in the paper at one time a buck in Bayonne, deer along the river in the meadows

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BHC, I've lived in Bayonne my whole life. And i never saw or heard of a deer being in Bayonne. For a deer to get in Bayonne it has to swim across the Newark Bay. And that is a hell of a swim. Bayonne is the tip of a small peninsula. A deer will not surive in Bayonne. Nothing but houses side by side. No forests or fields. Go on Goggle earth

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I grew up in North Bergen, and was a fireman there for 20 years. And there have been several sightings, and pictures of deer in Hudson County Park. They work there way down from the Palisades along the cliffs. It's just a little to congested for them to stay there, but when they get pushed, they will be there for a while, until they get pushed to another town.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I worked in North Bergen about 6 years ago for a few years. And i heard there was a nice buck in the park there. I want to say Hudson County Park, Not sure if that is the right name. But i never saw any deer. And i still can't see how a deer can even get to the park. North Bergen is like Bayonne and Jersey City it is VERY populated. Lots of houses, business buildings. A mini city.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The park in North Bergen is now called James Braddock park. The name changed many years ago, but it is still Hudson County park to thoses who grew up there. A good friend of mine has several good pictures of the buck and the does that were there for a short time. One picture is of the buck feeding in the football stadium in the park.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL,
several good pictures of the buck and the does that were there for a short time. One picture is of the buck feeding in the football stadium in the park.
You should see if you can get the pics.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
My brother lives in Lyndhurst and has seen deer in his back yard, near the river.

I used to live in Secaucus and ran into a guy I knew in high school years ago who told me he's seen deer in the meadows.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
i have been in bayonne all my life too and there is no way there was a deer in hudson county park....you guys must be thinking of a different county park

·
Registered
286 Posts
I also lived in North Bergen for 30 years.If I took a guess I would say I saw a spike in the park about 10 years ago

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
The only place in Hudson county I can imagine deer or bear is the little strip of swamp between Newark & Jersey City.

I have however seen pheasant near Giants stadium, but that's Bergan

1 - 20 of 40 Posts