New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to my stand this morning and figured i sould get there early to see if anything was moving at all. Got in the stand about 4:15 a.m. and had three deer walk by me. Couldn't tell what they were, too dark but, still good to hear the sounds of leaves rustling. After the sun came up had two racoons come to my corn pile and start eating only to be scared off by a nice red fox. That was it for the day. Have to move my stand. Sat there twice and didn't see a deer. Was going to head up this afternoon but, it is just too warm. Will head up tomorrow afternoon with my climber and try a new spot. Good luck to all. This property is hard to figure out.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Got in the stand about 4:15 a.m

It takes alot of will power to get in stand 2 hours before its light enough to shoot.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know i wanted to get in early and see if anything was moving early since this was the third day i didn't see anything from this stand but have runs coming through and they are eating the cxorn i put out so i thought if i get in ealry and would be able to get there before they were and would go undetected or disturbed but nothing came through during shooting hours.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scouting help,
I know everyone is hunting now but, i need some help and maybe this can help you out too. If someone would like to walk around the property i am hunting and give me some ideas on where to set up my stands, what to look for, etc, i would appreciate it and in return you can hunt it with me if you bring a climber that day as well. I know it is alot too ask but, maybe someone would be interested. I am not sure if i am overlooking something good or maybe just don't know what to look for. Anyway i am heading back up there tomorrow afternoon for a hunt but can go back sunday for a scout then we can hunt it if interested it on next friday since i can only hunt friday and saturdays. Just a thought.The property is in chester nj.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tunatales01 Dont get discouraged yet. Sit there again. A friend of ours went bear hunting and sat in a stand for 3 days without seeing anything.On the 4th day he moved and a bear was near the other stand he was in for the past 3 days. Heard stories like that many times with deer also.
I may be able to help you. email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know been through that, have sat at a stand for 4 days when bear huntning and moved the last day and the bait i was at the day before was hit. Just not sure how to read the property and what to look for. Everyone says bedding areas and food sources but, how do you know their food source? No creeks, rivers or water near by and no farms they can be going to just woods houses and more woods.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Tuna,

Depending on where you are located, I'd be interested in scouting with you on a Sunday. Send me an e-mail.

David

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
tuna,

There are corn fields across Parker Rd. that those deer are most likely going to.
Go all the way down to the fence at the end of he hill. Walk along that and look for small trees that have been rubbed. Walk up over the back of the hill towards Parker. When you get to the top or crest of the hill, walk back along the top towards where you are sitting now. Look again for beds in the leaves, rubbed trees etc.
If you want, I can meet you early tomorrow afternoon. I'll be in Mendham in the AM and then I'm going to Long Valley, right down the road from your spot, later in the AM.

Let me know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got a doe tonight at around 7:10. Got her from the ground just walking around. Ill give full story and pics in the morning. Didnt make it to the check-in station so its sitting on ice in the truck. Called the number and everything so i will be checking it in tomorrow am.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TJC,
That would be great if you could meet me. Just let me know what time and where to meet you and i'll be there. Really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Tunatales01. I hunt in your neck of the woods. I'm jonesing to get out. I'd be happy to go scouting w/ya. :D

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If anyone would like to help me out with some scouting i will be going to my property in chester tomorrow morning. I will be there about 7 a.m. or so and we can meet somoewhere in the morning if anyone would be interested. There is a small farmers market on parker road which we can meet at if interested.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
tuna,
Sorry I didn't respond until now. I unexpectedly went out hunting this AM. I did try to stop by the property on Parker Rd on the chance I might see ya. Don't know what you drive or where you park so I really was poking and hoping.
I'll hook up with you this week if that's possible. If not, for sure next Sat. If you are avail during the week, let me know when.

Tom

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Oh yea, shot my 4th doe last night, 23rd.
Going out in a little bit to shoot another one tonight.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had to go to my sons soccer game this morning and have to go out to eat with the family so no hunting for me today. I am going to scout tomorrow and will try to hunt next week during the week but i get out of work late so not sure if i can but definatly next friday and sat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts