·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The eyes have it: More deer culling needed
County workers assess population with nighttime ride
Sunday, April 24, 2005
BY GABRIEL H. GLUCK
Star-Ledger Staff
As they drove through the pitch black of the Watchung Reservation, their million-candlepower searchlights swept the forest in search of eyes.

During the day, a deer's natural coloring blends into the woods. But at night, the reflection of a spotlight in a deer's eyes can be seen at incredible distances, even when the deer's body is rendered practically invisible against the dark foliage.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/union/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1114318692315320.xml

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If they ever opened that place up to the public I would be applying! Working on the Mountainside side of the reservation last year I saw 4 bucks in late January. Two 10 points and two 8 points all wall hangers! They were all feeding together in the back yard of the house I was working in.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
tons of huge bucks there. i used to live down in union county and i used to go through there all the time plus walk the dog there.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I used to live in Westfield... one day the wife and I were driving the family roadster down Rt. 22... to my surprise we saw a huge buck standing along side the road. Huge... hopefully he was not hit by a car.

B

·
0 Posts
They would rather spend the tax payers money on thinning the herd, then allow hunters to do it FREE

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
My in-laws have a co-worker that lives there and I have been after my father-in-law to ask permission for me to bowhunt there.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Look at the woods there. There is no browse, None. When the trees that are there now mature and die, the whole thing will be a field.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
My in-laws have a co-worker that lives there and I have been after my father-in-law to ask permission for me to bowhunt there.
Good F***** luck. I bugged the hell out of the Union County Dept. of Parks & Recreation. So did UBNJ, as it turns out. The guy(?) that ran the commission at the time made it 110% clear that there would NEVER be bowhunting in the Reservation, and he'd expressed his 'great concern about bowhunting' to his staff, the freeholders, etc.

A couple of years ago they started with a lottery for Union County citizens, then they shifted to 100% off duty police for "safety reasons" AFTER prequalifying the shooters the first year with a competency shoot. That caused such a moan that it was 50/50 for the next few years.

For your 8 hr. tour in a treestand you got some ground venison--not 'your' deer, not any whole cuts, etc.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've seen some great looking deer there also while riding through it. Use to walk some of the trails there but never did see deer, but the rubs I seen were not of sapling size.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
there sure are a lot of large bucks there. I live in union county and tried to get in on a hunt but they told me they were going to use professionals. i told them that i have benn hunting befroe most of them were born but it was like talking to the wall

B

·
0 Posts
they told me they were going to use professionals.
could someone explaine to me what the hell is a professional hunter? Cause if you or me started a company thats like WHITE BUFFALO would you & me be considered a PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS? Companies like WHITE BUFFALO are just great BULLSHI*ERS

·
Registered
889 Posts
They would rather spend the tax payers money on thinning the herd, then allow hunters to do it FREE
A good friend of mine is one of the guys involved in that cull. They do it every year in early March, and it does on a volounteer basis (Free). I agree, I would love to have the opportunity to bowhunt in there but they are happy with the program they have been using since 1995, it works for them.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think the only thing that distinguishes a professional hunter from a hunter is the fact that they get paid to kill and we do not. Just like any ohter sport.
By the way, my budy that is involved with that cull, is by no means a "professional hunter" he is just a regular hunter like you and me that just happened to get lucky and get in there when there was a spot open.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I live in Westfield, and I ride my bike all through the Watchung Reservation. I have seen many deer at all point of the land. I personally think that bowhunting would be a safe way to hunt in such a densely populated area, but I would not be surprised if they never allowed hunting there. If you want to hunt in NJ, the message is "go west young man".

·
Registered
545 Posts
I drive thru that area each day and I would say that the the herd has been thinned- in 2003, 2004 I would drive thru there each day and i would see on average 15-20 deer going to and from work and now I will go 30-4 days without seeing a deer (i did see 1 last night which was a real nice buck) my friend was part of th hunt a few yrs back also and he said there were herds of deer running the reservation- one guy shot 8 in one day

1 - 19 of 19 Posts