New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deer hunter kills small bear climbing toward him in Hunterdon tree stand, DEP confirms | NJ.com
A small-but-aggressive black bear was shot dead by a deer hunter, who was up in a tree stand, on Saturday morning as it climbed toward him in the Clinton Wildlife Management Area. The incident was confirmed today by a state Department of Environmental Protection spokesman.
Larry Ragonese of the DEP said that a 24-year-old Sayreville man, armed with a 12-gauge shotgun, was in a tree stand, about 10 to 12 feet up, when he first noticed a bear walking around in the vicinity at about 9:15 a.m.
A half-hour later, the hunter "inadvertently made some noise, which drew the bear's attention and it started to climb one of the tree trunks" supporting the tree stand." The bear was a young male, weighing 85 to 100 pounds.
The hunter told Fish & Wildlife authorities that he shouted at the bear several times hoping to scare it away, but the bear kept climbing. Ragonese had no information on the bear's demeanor, but would say that the hunter was "uncomfortable for his safety."
"It continued up towards him and (when the bear was about 3 feet away) he fired one time in self-defense, striking the bear in the chest, and the bear fell out of the tree and landed on the ground," Ragonese said.
The hunter immediately climbed down from the tree, got the Fish & Wildlife phone number from a fisherman, and reported the incident at 10 a.m.
"All the evidence at the scene supports the hunter's claim," said Ragonese. "We looked at the claw marks in the tree, the angle of the shooting, and the blood evidence. It seems he acted appropriately, and no summons was issued."
Fish & Wildlife experts told Ragonese it is not the time of year for rabies in bears. He said, "It was probably just a curious bear. It might have smelled something on the hunter such as the residual odor of food, but whatever it was, the bear was going toward the hunter and the hunter could not get the bear to desist, so he shot the bear."
It couldn't be called an attack because "we're not sure if the bear understood what was in the tree, but you could call it an aggressive bear," Ragonese said.
According to Fish & Wildlife, the average female black bear weighs 175 pounds and the average male weighs 400 pounds.
The Clinton Wildlife Management Area, which is northwest of Van Syckles Road, is mostly in Union Township, but a small part is in Bethlehem Township.

·
Banned
722 Posts
This state is a f'ing joke including that fat-f***, Jerry Jones blowing Governor CC! In any other state, this story is nothing more than a success survival story, but not here! Oh no, you protect yourself and you're instantly put on public trial! As for that fat slob, it's just a matter of time until he changes his political tie color or hopefully has a heart attack!! Aaahhhh, feel much better now! [hihi]

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Well, at least the guy isn't going to be charged.

·
Registered
513 Posts
This state is a f'ing joke including that fat-f***, Jerry Jones blowing Governor CC! In any other state, this story is nothing more than a success survival story, but not here! Oh no, you protect yourself and you're instantly put on public trial! As for that fat slob, it's just a matter of time until he changes his political tie color or hopefully has a heart attack!! Aaahhhh, feel much better now! [hihi]
Survival? It was less than a 100 lbs.! Where I come from, it's called a cub.
Now if the hunter was an old guy, then he gets a pass for shooting it. But if he was young or middle-aged, then a boot to the snout would have been plenty.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Now if the hunter was an old guy, then he gets a pass for shooting it. But if he was young or middle-aged, then a boot to the snout would have been plenty.
Who cares if it was a cub. They are nothing more than giant rats...vermin.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
No public trial. In fact, he was cleared very quickly if you ask me. Any time a hunter kills a bear out of season for any reason in any state there's going to be an investigation by the COs in that state. My own father had to shoot an old brown bear while working for US Fish & Wildlife in Alaska in the late 50s/early 60s and they did a full investigation of that shooting. He was cleared because evidence showed he was truthful about it charging him and he had a witness. In his case, it was a very old and undernourished boar who had lost most of its teeth and was badly scarred from losing fights. Happened during the salmon runs when the bear likely couldn't get enough to eat and figured my dad looked tasty and an easy meal.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I've had bears come right up to my stand just being curios,I really don't think he needed to shoot it at that time.I am really surprised they didn't cite him.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I'm 28... if I had a bow or muzzle loader I would have done the same thing. If I had a few shots I would have shot the first shot as a warning before he even go to the base of my tree...

I mean- that's what I would like to have done. When in the position sometimes things don't go as easily planned.

Cub or not... he did the right thing. a human was in possible danger. A cub can kill a human. Heck a raccoon could climb up my tree like that I would probably shoot it for fear of my life!

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Who knows? Maybe this guy was a Poindexter afraid of his own shadow who let his imagination get away from him. Might of read too many Outdoor Life, "It Happened to Me", bear attack stories. Unless you were there you really can't make any assumptions. I've yelled at a couple that were headed to my tree. Not a comfortable feeling. Is a 100 pound cub as dangerous as a 400 pound boar? No, but until you have to wrestle with one you might not ever know what it is capable of.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I am really surprised they didn't cite him.
If you read the story, they cover why he was not charged. Again, some of us may have reacted differently, but none of us was there and the bear was clearly a threat to him by climbing as close as it did. The first news report had the bear swiping its claws at his leg.

·
Registered
942 Posts
In every run-in I've had with a bear (at least 30 instances) of all different sizes (40lbs - 600 lbs), all of them except 1 ran as fast as they could from me. The 1 time a 350lb bruin followed me and my son during spring turkey hunt and finally left when I stood my ground, with 11-87 loaded with 3" #5 shot. I would not have hesitated to shoot that bear knowing the speed and power they possess. A 100 lb bear/cub probably most likely a yearly and not a cub would present a challenge up in a stand with a hunter. Imagine a large dog with you in a portable tree stand, get the picture???? Bears do not stick around for any reason other than to challenge you for food whether its an apple pie or you for that matter.

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Ironic we can protect ourselves from a Bear but not a Knife wielding crack addict. I've stood toe to toe with a Bear once. Clacking his teeth and making that woof sound with his ears back and his head looking away. It's not a nice situation.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I've had lots of bears climb up to check me out.
None have ever been aggressive but thats not to say this one wasn't. Only the hunter knows what happened.

To say because it was just a cub so it wasn't dangerous is a pretty dumb thing even at 100# bear can tear a man up.

Lastly I don't see where the guy was put on trial...an investigation was done which would happen in any state and he was cleared.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts