New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just remember... you get what you pay for. $450-$600 for a "realistic" job that will last. I've had some cheaper mounts done that look okay at first then 3-4 years later looked like they were harvested 30 years ago..lol

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
some say pay more if you want a good job that will last, well that is not true, eather a guy is good and a good person or he is not, just cause you get it done for less it could be just as good as one that cost two times more, IT is all about the guy doing it, the price will not make it a better mount, the man doing it makes it a good mount.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've seen a high of $675, and the work is top notch.

I honestly can't comprehend how anyone in this state could mount a deer for less than $500 and still claim they are making good money. Overhead alone gets your costs over $200 using quality materials, and that's before you've done anything. Depending on how much time you invest in the piece will tell you how much money you'll end up making and more importantly, how good that deer is going to look. Without singling anyone out, I'll just say that there alot of people who are just to damned polite for their own damn good. Everything always looks great, until someone points out the flaws. While I'm not taking it upon myself to do that for you all, what I would suggest is to actually look at a picture of that deer and compare it to what you get back. Even a lay person should be able to notice differences between the two, such as head and muzzle width, angle of antlers, or something as simple as where the ears are located on the head. Newsflash, ears grow out of the head, not the neck.

Sure you can get a decent job at sub par rate, but those doing it are few and far between, and I'd almost bet the farm, they aren't doing it for a living. I'm thinking that if you were asked to work for minumum wage you'd balk at the offer, yet, the taxidermist is constantly asked to do just that.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
About 5 years ago I paid $800 for a shoulder mount. A guy I know just got his mount back from a deer he shot out of state. I only smiled and said nice deer. I am no pro, but this deer looked like the butcher did the mounting! Horrible mount. Without even trying I could pick out the seams, there were holes in the hide along the back going from the skull to the back shoulder. Very poor work. So, you get what you pay for and the wise hunter would spend time NOW seeking out a taxidermist rather than waiting for when the deer is in your trunk and you have no choice but to make a rushed decision.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I honestly can't comprehend how anyone in this state could mount a deer for less than $500 and still claim they are making good money. Overhead alone gets your costs over $200 using quality materials, and that's before you've done anything. Depending on how much time you invest in the piece will tell you how much money you'll end up making and more importantly, how good that deer is going to look. Without singling anyone out, I'll just say that there alot of people who are just to damned polite for their own damn good. Everything always looks great, until someone points out the flaws. While I'm not taking it upon myself to do that for you all, what I would suggest is to actually look at a picture of that deer and compare it to what you get back. Even a lay person should be able to notice differences between the two, such as head and muzzle width, angle of antlers, or something as simple as where the ears are located on the head. Newsflash, ears grow out of the head, not the neck.

Sure you can get a decent job at sub par rate, but those doing it are few and far between, and I'd almost bet the farm, they aren't doing it for a living. I'm thinking that if you were asked to work for minumum wage you'd balk at the offer, yet, the taxidermist is constantly asked to do just that.
you got it!

i get $550/head (+tax)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.