New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the property right next to mine there is a big soy bean field that the deer have been chowing down exclusively on for the past few weeks. After noticing that a patch of oak trees close to a permanent treestand started dropping acorns over the past week I figured that it would be a hot spot to hunt. I sat there last night and saw nothing...I also had placed for 3 days a trail camera where the acorns were falling and only got 3 shots of deer passing through, not eating the acorns. My question is...When will the deer switch from the soy to the acorns?

·
Registered
803 Posts
No clue but they are not touching acorn rage yet either. Maybe once the greens are all gone?

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
When will the deer switch from the soy to the acorns?
In my imited experience, the deer will start to shy away from the soy as the leaves turn color. If left standing, the soy will get hit hard again later in the year. Depending on the kind of oak trees that are there, the deer may prefer the soy for now. They prefer white oak varieties. If they are red oak the deer may not hit them right away and come back and get them later in the year as tastier food sources dwindle.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
i dont think they stick with just one food source,but when the beans turn yellow and brown they usually dont eat them as much where i hunt.they are eating acorns on the way to and from the beans in one of my locations now,great spot morning and evenings. stick with it

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
When it turns from green to brown they will switch. Are the accorn white? If not thats what they favor.

Watch the field and set up where they are coming out and figure 1 shot at them so set up right. You only need 1 shot.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The soy field is off my property so I can't set up right on the edge. I have scouted it a few nights from a distance and they come out all over the long edge of the field. I would have a better idea of the whole situation, but this is the first year that there has been a soy crop in that field in the 3 years that I have been hunting at this property. No it is not in whitehouse

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Not much you can do when they are committed to eat in someone elses bush and you can't cut them off. It will turn around.:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts