New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some safe ways to bait deer on state land. I was going to buy a hanging feeder but i'm sure it would get stollen. Any helpful hints.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
They sell those fake stumps in Cabela's that hold about 50lbs of feed. You could also try a little no plow clover in a secluded place.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
ive used the moultrie 50$ battery powered type that turns on a half hour before sunrise and a half hour after sunset. i drilled holes in it and put in eye screws and stripped the thread after the nut so it cant be unscrewed easily and also so i can lock it up and hang it with a cable from a limb. there are many fancier types for more money.it uses the 6 gallon pail but it runs out of corn in less than 2 weeks with it set to throw corn for 4 or 5 seconds at a clip.im not using it this year. i would just find a spot you want to bring deer into and just scatter the heck out of a 50 lb bag in the thickest nasty brush handful by handful and make them work for it.in the early season you might get a week out of it.as winter approaches i would make a trip during the week although this year due to gas prices probably im not.one thing ive found with the feeders is that it takes them a while to get use to it. some say deer will hear the sound and come running but ive only seen this in january when food was real scarce. another thing a fellow told me is that thieves go to the woods at dusk and just listen for the feeders to turn on and then they can locate them and steal them so i dont blame you for not wanting to risk it.ive worked with feeders on opublic land for a couple years and found its far from a sure thing. i think they tend to feed at night. i like the scatter approach much better. also if you want a buck dont hunt over top of the bait. get on a well used trail back in a bit. my feeling is that the bucks will follow the doe-s and hang up and dont come into a bait area much during shooting hours. i think of bait as getting surrounding deer to your genaeral area then you have to do some moving around to get shots.

B

·
0 Posts
I've been hunting public land since the mid 90s and never used a feeder, cause it will gwt stolen, I just use my experience to pattern the deer to best I can.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Get a spackle bucket with a lid, a 2ft length of dowel or broom handle. Put a nail or screw 3" from one end of the dowel, drill a hole a little bigger than the thickness of the dowel. Hang the bucket with the handle hanging about 3' off the ground so coons won't get it. Fill with corn and the deer will nudge the dowel and the corn will fall. Maybe camo the bucket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts