New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I have mine set at 6 seconds at legal sun up(30 minutes after legal shooting time) and 1/2 hour before legal sunset (1 hour before shooting time expires)

I use 40 lbs of corn a week with that set up

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
when i started out in my 30 gallon hanging feeder which holds appx. 200lbs of corn, i was running 15 seconds at 7:45 am 8 seconds at 1:15 pm and 15 seconds at 5:45pm. That was the first few weeks and i ripped through all of the corn quick, now ive backed them down a few seconds on each. Works for me have deer on cam either right before or during or after all feeding times along with random visits througout the night and day.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
i give a short burst at first light. anymore than that and you will be feeding turkeys all day. then a long burst around an hour before sun down. that gives me plenty of time to see a ton of deer. i mostly hunt the Afternoon

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i found (when i used a feeder) that when you spread it morning and evening the deer normally wait until dark to eat it... once they smarten up... so what worked better was one time, at like noon..
this way the deer know its there all day, and they want to be the 1st to get it before another deer or swuirrles eat it all up, so i found they came earlier in the evening instead of at last light...

best yet, is dumping 50 # of corn on the ground on like thursday for saturday's hunt, and saturday to last til thursday.... (even though it only lasts like a day, i spread it really good and kick it under the brush so they have to work for it.... i spread 50 lbs in a circle about 30 yards diameter...

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
When my feeder is hanging and ready to go, I have my feeder set to go off at 8AM and then again at 2PM and the length of the run-time is about 10 seconds. That sounds like a lot of time, but it's not that much corn coming out as you would think. The reason I have it set for 8AM and 2PM is that I waqnt to be settled up in my tree long before the feeder spins for the first time. I don't want to approach my stand and already have deer there waiting for the feeder to go off. The 2PM setting is for shotgun season and the same reason. I don't want deer coming to the feeder with only an hour of sunlight left.

My experience is 10 seconds is long enough and not too short. Second, most often the deer arrive within 20-45 minutes after the feeder goes off. Most of the time...there are times when they never come or are already lurking an hour before the feeder goes.

Experiment with yours to determine your preferred settings.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
If any of you are placing these automatic feeders on public land, which ones are you using? Im just using a gravity PVC tube for now but would like some ideas for an automatic feeder.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I have a Moultrie 6 gallon feeder. fits 40 lbs of corn. I hoist it way up in the canopy with a steel cable, and lock the other end of the cable to a tree about 10' up. You need to be looking in the canopy to spot it.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Mth that's a pretty cool idea.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I have a Moultrie 6 gallon feeder. fits 40 lbs of corn. I hoist it way up in the canopy with a steel cable, and lock the other end of the cable to a tree about 10' up. You need to be looking in the canopy to spot it.
THANKS MTH[up]

·
Registered
384 Posts
In my experience, the morning corn usually gets all eaten by birds, squirrels and turkeys...most of the time, for me, the deer come down in the evening so I would set it for an hour or so before legal shooting light....also, the first time the feeder went off in the morning it scared the shit outta me! Make sure you're strapped into your tree!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.