New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys will be driving deer this coming week? I have a small group of guys about 12 and we do some small drives around zones 35,28.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I will put small 3 man drives on during the week and will participate in a bigger drive at the end of the week.

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those small 3 or 4 man drives seem to work good. Do you have a guy or 2 in a stand when you do the small man drives?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Not a tree stand. Just posted.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Oh man, touchy subject, I know, but I don't like deer drives at all, especially those big club drives on public land. If you are doing drives on your own private land, no biggie, but in my experience, alot of those drives run out of land to drive real quick, and posted private land becomes a "quick hit". I bust several groups trying to drive posted lands every year during buck week, and more and more frequently during permit season as well. Drives and baiting seem to bring out the worst in people.

I know drives can be productive, I just hate it when they "produce" on lands that we have posted...and we are not the ones doing the drives.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
It's illegal to use any electronic device to rally game.
Page 30 of the Hunting Digest states No electronic calling device. Is there somewhere else in the game codes that say no radios?

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No! 2 way radios, cell phones etc. are all legal. You can't use electronic calling devices for hunting!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I have just read the Game Laws in full. It does not say you can not use radios.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I have done 1 man drives with some success that is one driver and one stander. It works particularly well on Moe mountain in Wayway. The stander is in the hardwoods above the hemlock ravine. The driver walks a contour line in the ravine occasionally using a snort call. This moves any bedded deer in the ravine out to the hardwoods.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 03 Dec 2005 3:02 AM

Currently Offline Posts: 47
No! 2 way radios, cell phones etc. are all legal. You can't use electronic calling devices for hunting!
Noooooo!!!!
A calling device does not mean something that you use to call another human. A calling device is a call to attract game.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 03 Dec 2005 9:13 AM [ Edit ]

Currently Online Posts: 540
I have done 1 man drives with some success that is one driver and one stander. It works particularly well on Moe mountain in Wayway. The stander is in the hardwoods above the hemlock ravine. The driver walks a contour line in the ravine occasionally using a snort call. This moves any bedded deer in the ravine out to the hardwoods.
Posted: 03 Dec 2005 9:15 AM [ Edit ]

Currently Online Posts: 540
Quote:
Posted: 03 Dec 2005 3:02 AM

Currently Offline Posts: 47

Noooooo!!!!
A calling device does not mean something that you use to call another human. A calling device is a call to attract game
Electronic game calling devices are legal for crows & predators. I use one for coyotes.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Deer Drives [down] . Just my two cents and am not knocking anyone that does it .

More or less talking about the club with a bunch of guys and NOT talking about a two or three man drive .

A huge group of guys pushing the deer is just SHOOTING DEER and NOT hunitng . Just my two cents worth about 1

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
We do them with a large group, I don't like them but they do produce deer.
We use radios, know where our property lines are and the posters are all in stands shooting down instead of level from the ground.
I'd much rather sit in a stand and wait but the deer have become so smart that the first sound of any gunshots and they head for the back yards. [mad]

The drives do produce by getting them out of their hiding spots. [up]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.