New Jersey Hunters banner

Deer 1 Tail Chaser 0

663 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  skullcrusher 
#1 ·
I got to my hunting area around 5:00 pm. It was to late to put up a stand so I decided to still hunt.With the wind in my face and bow in hand I headed up the mountain. About 5 minutes in I kicked up a hen turkey and 4 poults. After they left I moved on up the trail.There were a bunch of treerats and chipmunks under the oak trees. I creeped along for about an hour, enjoying a sweet afternoon. As I crested the hill I found a deery area.There was one set of fresh medium size tracks so I sat down along a blowdown to wait out the last hour of light. Two minutes go by and I notice a lone doe coming my way.If she continued the way she was going she would have been like 15 yards away,perfect. NOT. She came over the rocks and for whatever reason went to her left.This puts her right on the blowdown I was sittig on and coming straight at me. Because of the slope of the ground I couldn't turn to get a good stance so I wait,Hoping she would move towards the oaks.No again.She keeps coming right to me and stops 4 feet away!! I could count the hairs on her head.There was literaly 3 maple leaves between us.I was frozen hoping she would keep going like 8 more feet and get behind a tree so I could draw witout scaring her. But she deciced to stand there and stare at me for like ten minutes. I don't know if she finally smelled me or heard my heart beating cause she started to stomp and snort for like 5 more minutes before she went back the way she came. Up to the rocks and off to the left ,where she stopped again to snort for a few more minutes. She milled aroun for a while at 30 yard when she finally went behind a tree. I decide to shift my weight to attemp a shot but that was more than she could take and she turned and bolted up the hill, snorting the whole way.I never got a shot but it was an awesome first hunt of the season and great to releve some stress.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.