New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, who is the GURU of Deep Frying Thanksgiving Turkey. I have a Fryer, since I'm a newbie on this, can anyone give me any recommendations on how to fry the best tasten Turkey.

I have:
Injector, like 5 marinades from Cabelas, and a 18lb Young Turkey!

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i want to get one. they are awesome. takes like 45 minutes for 15 lb bird.

not a guru tho.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Season your bird liberally inside and out. I like a nice cajun seasoning. Heat your peanut oil to 350 deg. and fry the bird for 3.5 minutes per pound. Your bird should take 63 minutes. Be sure to use peanut oil!! Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart all are selling it. I have a 20 qt. pot and a twenty lb. bird fits perfectly with 2.5 gallons of oil. If your not sure how much oil to use without it spilling over put the bird on the frying stand put it in the pot and add water until the bird is completely submerged. Leave room for expansion!!! When your ready for the real thing heat your oil and SLOWLY lower the bird into the oil. Good luck and bon appetite...
NOTE: DO NOT PUT STUFFING IN THE BIRD!!!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I fry turkeys all the time. Best way to cook them. I do not inject because I like the tast of turkey, but some really love to inject them. My reco on that would be to do many locations of a small amount of marinade instead of large amounts in fewer locations. Also do the injections the night before cooking so it has time to spread thought the meat.

As for frying, 375, 4 minutes per pound. Watch the temp if using a propane burner, it can climb during cooking. OH, and make sure the bird is room temp at start of cooking! If not increase the time by 1/2 minute per pound, but the outsides will be extra crispy and a little drier.

-dan

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
2nd most hazardous culinary practice next to Fugu sushi.

Practice and be very careful.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
350' 3 1/2 min a pound. also on the big birds you might want to slice both sides of the breast bone all the way down, sometimes it doesnt cook the breasts all the way through. cajun creole butter is excellent in turkey.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I have done it 350 deg's for 4 minutes per lb... But Smoking the bird for me is the best.... Nothing like a smoked Turkey for the Holidays... I'll be smoking a Turkey for Xmas....

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Do you guys really prefer deep fried turkey? I've tried it and wasn't all that impressed. I love good old fashioned turkey in the oven.

Good luck cooking your bird.

David

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
ok, I think you are right about 350 not 375.

-dan

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I second the smoker.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Never had smoked but I do fry them. I like a mesquite injection.
Follow all the advice above.

BE CAREFUL!! Put either plywood or thick cardboard under the cooker so the oil that boils out/over goes on it instead of ground, slate etc.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Mystic,

Never tried a smoked turkey. But if up for making one, I'll be up for eating it :p:D

David

1 - 20 of 29 Posts