New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the price of lead weights anymore it's time to get into casting my own. I thought of using plaster and making molds but was worried the hot metal being poured into the plaster might ruin the molds quickly. Anybody ever try this or have other ideas for making molds?

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
plunge router and a 2 x 6 plank...you can use some candle wax on the first few pours after that the charred wood is muy bueno.....you can make all sorts of designs H, tear drop, circle oblong rings...if you want to do mushroom you really need a mold...but I know guys that have used 4x4 post and BIG 1-1/2" drill bits and bored in 3" poured lead and used like 10-8ga wire bent over in a U shape to make a line hold..let it set the pull out...first few are tough but once the wood is charred its easy.......pro tip of the week :)

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Plus you can pretty much do a congo line down the 4x4 post once you are done pouring the last one, the first is usually ready to come out...you can do 12-18+ at a time

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I always used a lead dipper as a mold. I have a roll of stainless wire and make a loop, about 3-4"circle and mold it in. it takes a lot of lead, but I usually hunt open water in the bay, and current and seaweed washes away anything less. the loops fit nice over the head. even after I switched to longline rigs, I always liked a bunch of solo's to fill in between. I have several dippers and use my largest. makes a nice mushroom anchor, and hold even with a good current and a line full of seaweed

Reactions: Deuce N Ducks

·
Registered
302 Posts
I use a coffee can. I fill it with sand and then make an indentation with a ball. I take heavy gage electrical wire and make a loop. I set it in the indentation and pour the lead with a ladle. You can hold the wire upright with a pair of pliers. I usually cut the wire long enough to make a big loop that I can fit over the head of the decoy.

·
Registered
952 Posts
what Deuce N Ducks said is the easiest. Step 1= Get 2x6... Step 2=set router, 1/4" deep or 1/2" deep whatever you want... Step3=draw a line figure of the shape you want... Step 4= route out the shape... Step 5= make like 5 routed out shapes on the 2x6...Step 6= Make as many as you can till the wood is bad, then re do all the steps... Very easy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts