New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my first year hunting and I was wondering if I'm allowed to hunt in December with a bow. I don't have my firearms license. I've heard people say I can and others say I can't

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
as long as you have your extended bow permit and your zone allows it. the answer is easy to find if you take the time to look at your regulation set in the game compendium. just about any question you have can be found in the compendium. put one in your bathroom

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
You can hunt 6 day with a bow with your firearm license.
That's the important thing - you CANNOT hunt with a bow if you dont' have a firearms license next week (during 6-day). Even though you want to use bow, you need a firearms license as Daver said (or an All-Around-License which you say you do not have). So, don't go out next week.

This is on page 32 of the digest.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
You can bowhunt during shotgun week as long as you have you extended bow permit for the zone you hunt and if you want to shoot a buck you need a buck stub. If you want to just hunt shotgun week with your bow you need archery and firearms licenses....you use the firearm license tags...what mazzgolf said is incorrect.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
You can bowhunt during shotgun week as long as you have you extended bow permit for the zone you hunt and if you want to shoot a buck you need a buck stub. If you want to just hunt shotgun week with your bow you need archery and firearms licenses....you use the firearm license tags...what mazzgolf said is incorrect.
Yes, sorry - I forgot some regulation sets overlap 6-day (numbers 5, 6, 7, 8). As others said, we need to know what zone/reg set you are talking about - but really, just read the zone/regulation set information in the digest for your zone and it will answer your question.

If your zone does NOT overlap 6-day (any in regulation sets 1, 2, 3 and 4), then what I posted about page 32 is correct - you can't hunt with a bow on only an archery license - must have firearms license, too:

Bowhunters may take antlered deer with their bow during the Six-day Firearm season, provided that they have a current and valid firearm license in addition to an archery license, or have an All-around Sportsman License. Bowhunters who bag an antlered deer during the Six-day Firearm Season with their bow must use the Harvest Report Stub for the Six-day season from their firearm or All-around Sportsman License only.
But if you are in a zone in reg set 5, 6, 7 or 8, then if you have a permit, you are good.

So, it does all depends on your zone and whether you have a valid permit for that zone or not.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2014/regsets14-15.pdf

In this link it will tell you when and what you need, just know whatever zone you hunt you need a deer tag for that specific zone for permit bow.

Example:

There is Fall Bow, Permit Bow and Winter bow. If you have your permit bow license you can hunt all these zones, Regulation Set #7 Zones 7, 8, 9*, 10, 11, 12, 15, 41, From
November 1 - December 24, Dec 26 - Dec 31. but mind you your deer tag is zone specific only for permit bow.

Now go look your zone up, good luck![up]

·
Banned
722 Posts
So if a truck with shotgun hunters is traveling at 15 mph with bow permits in a zone that allows or doesn't allow extended bow hunters with firearm licenses to shot a zone specific buck, can I take any amount of does with the philosophy of "if it's brown it's down" on a Sunday during 6 day???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.