New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone watch this on discovery channel? it's on right now...holy crap! this is sick. they only work for like 6 days or something and get like $200,000. on average 1 guy dies on every boat every year.

·
3,413 Posts
Yeah, next they'll be going after Opellio (sp?) Crab, that's worse yet. Colder and icy conditions. Should make for more good TV.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Crazy show, I dont know if anyone has ever dabbled in workmans comp insurance but if you have access to their rates and codes check out the commercial fisherman codes. Must cost a fortune in insurance to own those boats.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Woj,

I don't think each person makes $200,000. If you saw the end of last night's episode, the highest any crew member was paid was like $16K. Not too bad for like 5 days of work.

David

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i saw that yoda. i should have worded that better. no not too bad if you have a very high percentage that you aren't going to come home everytime you go out. on the next show 5 people are missing and a boat goes under.

·
Registered
612 Posts
My brother was stationed in alaska when he was in the coast guard. He wanted to get a job on a commercial crabbing boat but couldn't find a slot. It's amazing a job that dangerous has a waiting list.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Awesome series!! Why doesnt Alaska just make the season longer with a quota so it's not this crazy rush? Pretty cool.

·
3,413 Posts
Why doesnt Alaska just make the season longer with a quota so it's not this crazy rush?
I don't believe that Alaska controls the season's lenght, I think that it's controlled Federally. The actual season dates are set by estimations of the amount of crabs caught. The season's are so short now due to over-fishing. In the second to last episode you can here one deckhand reminisce about when the season was three-months long.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If you liked that show, check out the book, "The Sea's Bitter Harvest: Thirteen Deadly Days" by Douglas Campbell. It's a really GREAT book, and I can honestly say it compares very closely to "The Perfect Storm". [up][up][up][up][up]

This will bring things closer to home - It's actual accounts about sea clam boats, some from Pt. Pleasant, NJ that all sunk within thirteen days in Jan. 1999. :(

Some of you may recognize the names of the boats, Captains & Mates that died/survived, and other Captains and boats that came to their rescues (Bogan, etc...):(

FROM THE PUBLISHER
In the course of thirteen days in January 1999, four commercial clam boats sank in horrifying succession while working the waters of the Atlantic Ocean, taking the lives of ten men. Husbands, fathers, loners, and drug users, each man was lured to the nation's most dangerous trade by the lucrative wages offered to those who dared to reap the harvest of the ocean. In this compelling maritime tale of risk and danger, acclaimed journalist Douglas Campbell compassionately portrays the destinies of the men who lost their lives to the Atlantic and the lure of profits from clamming. From the tough and sometimes troubled young men on deck to their families on shore, and the courageous people who tried to rescue them, this narrative memorializes a way of life, and exposes the hazards of this dangerous trade. :(

Product Details:
ISBN: 0786711841
Format: Paperback, 288pp
Pub. Date: March 2003
Publisher: Avalon Publishing Group
Softcover: $14.00 at Barnes & Noble

See Barnes & Noble link below to order:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2E735DPBOL&sourceid=M000000266&isbn=0786711841&itm=1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts