New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok it just dawned on me that in the countless days spent in the woods since childhood till now I have never found a dead deer that has seemingly died of natural causes. Plenty of road kills in fields and woods adjacent to roads. A few winter kills while living in VT. But never in the spring summer or fall have I come across a dead deer that seeming died just because. Barring ehd or something like that have you ever found a wild animal that apparently layed down and never woke up?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
All the dead deer I have found were hit, shot, or yotes got to them. Maybe they go deep in the woods, and the earth takes them back.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Found two ***** this weekend look like the died right in their tracks. They were in different locations and had no sign of injury or sickness.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Your right I have never seen any or found any.

I have heard though that most deer don't make it to "old age" forget where i heard that but I do remember hearing it.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
i have found many that died of natural causes you just have to know where to look and what to look for
Like what??

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I found about 50 once..very ugly, but not to smelly of a find. Frozen solid. I called the DNR and their report stated that they died of starvation.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Go see if you can find your cat when it leaves home to die...I have found a few deer over the years where I questioned how they died. Most tims it is only bones and only god knows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts