New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i hang my stand in the tree i always do, scrapes and rub right nearby. Next thing i know I'm stung and friend as well. Im like WTF! Then we notice about 20ft away the little f'ers flying in and out of hole in ground we walked over!

Moving is not an option, perfect tree etc.... What to do,? Just be careful and not disturb again, or from what I've read is to spray shit into hole AT NIGHT!

Hmmmmm decisions, decisions!

Plus, this freaking sting 12 hrs later is still irritating lol!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well did some more research. Either an insecticide dust at night or just hope for some cold weather already! Supposedly they can't fly below 50 degrees, damn it get cold already!

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Clearly you have no bears around. LOL In Sussex, those underground nests don't stand a chance. The bears rip them apart for the honey....Here's one I snapped a pic of yesterday:

Reactions: GWO

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
funny, earlier this summer when I was hanging stands, I stumbled on one, f-ers had me running hard, stumbled and fell, got me on the ground too. I think I was hit 10X, and yes, days later they still itched. It would have been funnier if I wasn't alone, and someone witnessed me falling, screaming, and running......

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Did you try jingling your keys at them or is that for forest dolphins....I'm confused [confused]

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Clearly you have no bears around. LOL In Sussex, those underground nests don't stand a chance. The bears rip them apart for the honey....Here's one I snapped a pic of yesterday:
those are yellow jackets, they are wasps not bees, wasps are carnivorous and don't make honey, the bear was after the wasp larvae.

Reactions: briar

·
Registered
21,476 Posts
scouted an area, found a perfect funnel pinch point, set a cam up for a few weeks with great pics so I set my stand up and everything was fine... then just before the season I got stung several times while I checked my cam... Grrrrr... Yellow Jackets ! but I couldn't figure out why or where the hell I triggered a hive at... till on a sunny day I see the damn nest, about 4 ft from the front of my cam set up...
all the stings were mainly on my back and sucked immensely... little bastards are only active on warmer days other then that you don't see them at all...
Anyway I'm not moving my set though... figured eventually the bears would take care of it but got pics of 2 different bears and so far I'm the only one to find the little bastards.... I seem to be a magnet for unintentionally finding and setting up right on their G D nests... [wallmad]

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Some years ago I stepped right into a hole that turned out to be a yellow jacket nest. My foot went way in and I had trouble getting it out. The yellow jackets had no trouble getting out and it was no fun. I was so mad I put three rounds of 12 gauge birdshot into that nest. Unfortunately it was some distance to my car and though I am not allergic to bee stings and such, I was not feeling well by the time I got to the car. I developed a healthy fear and an abiding loathing for anything with a stinger on it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Some years ago I stepped right into a hole that turned out to be a yellow jacket nest. My foot went way in and I had trouble getting it out. The yellow jackets had no trouble getting out and it was no fun. I was so mad I put three rounds of 12 gauge birdshot into that nest. Unfortunately it was some distance to my car and though I am not allergic to bee stings and such, I was not feeling well by the time I got to the car. I developed a healthy fear and an abiding loathing for anything with a stinger on it.
You should definitely consider carrying an EPI PEN with you at all times. My wife and I have them with us always around here but especially when we travel. I just got rid of a yellow jackets nest in a bale of straw. Waited 'til dark, then broke open the bale and let it rip with a can of wasp killer spray.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Scouting one day last summer with the dog. He was off to the side, and I saw him jump back and start slapping at his snout with his front paws. Fearing a snake bit him, I moved in closer to see what it was....yellow jackets, he dug up a nest. All the dog had to do was out run me, he did, I think I got stung more times than he did. Now if he gets near a ground nest he turns a runs.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm just gonna avoid that hole like the plague!

I never new they create nest underground!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I had a yellow jacket nest under ground in the back yard ……at night, take a funnel and some gasoline a cup or two and pour it down the hole …cover hole with a rock or brick and the fumes will kill the little stingers …I know this is not ideal for a hunting spot but if you cover the hole the day after with fresh dirt maybe the deer won't be too alarmed….

·
Registered
198 Posts
I also got stung setting a stand 3x itched for days I just avoid them now
that I know where they are with np I also took a shot at a doe that went
under her and the arrow landed In a nest got stung while I was looking for blood
on the arrow .i got Nothing but stingers

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Yellow Jackets will light you up for sure*Been there done that*Buy a can of the foaming Wasp/Hornet Spray that shoots about 20' and fill up their entrance hole good around dusk*If we came across them in our parks while working we would pour a small amount of gasoline in the hole,stand back and light it up*Problem solved*

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yes they are nasty little sh*ts! I was dragging a doe out opening day a few years ago and all of a sudden I am covered in them and ran out of the woods screaming like a b*tch and swatting my self. They got me like 8 times on my hand and arms an neck. I felt my throat swell slightly so ran to nearest pharmacy and drank half a bottle of Benedryl. I was never allergic to stings before so not sure if it due to multiple stings. It was not fun going back for, just grabbed her back leg and started hauling ass(didn't get stung that time). I now still keep an eye on that trail and have not seen any indication of them since.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Get a can of Hornet spray and spray them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts