New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my shotgun from when I was a kid... a circa 1970 16gauge...
Wearing my 200 sq. inches of Blaze Orange...

Walked hills, dales, streams, thorns, (still bleeding) rocks, weeds, fallen logs, ..
For hours and hours and hours neither hide nor hair was seen for more than 1 sec, on 3 occasions.
They got a system... that blaze orange is a tornado warning to run and hide.

Haven't shot my 16 gauge at a critter yet... Oh well, at $1.50 per shot, I'm saving tons of dough...

Dam Squirrels are making me angry! :D

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Some days they are out, some days they are not. I'm sure you've tried sitting also. That's pretty effective.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sitting for 10-30 min... they never budged... I know they're seeing me from half a mile with that neon orange gunners need to wear.
Never had such trouble with my bow+arrow+camo. Sure like to see what 16 gauge #5 and #7 shot will do before pheasant season starts.
Leaves are falling fast now-a-days... maybe they won't be able to hide when the leaves are gone.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Find the oaks, look for the acorns then take a seat. First two hours of day light and the last two hours are the best. If you scout look at fallen logs and rocks for nut shells. They don't do a lot of moving during mid day because of hawks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the tips guys! That did it. Found a stump, near some oaks, watched the setting sun through the trees… 45 min later, one started barking her head off at me… maybe 15 yards…
The 16 gauge with #7 shot, a head shot took her down without any noticible meat loss… Aimed a bit off to keep from shredding it… yay! Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts