New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just left Davis in Sloatsburg NY and had the discussion about pistols and they spoke about the Sullivan Law. It has been discussed on another post that you are allowed to travel THROUGH NY to VT with a pistol. They said it depends on the COP as far as how they interpret the law. If they find probable cause or they find it somehow, you screwed. What's the answer?

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Simple answer: NO

Pretty self-explanatory: http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf

If you are shooting in an NRA-sanctioned match, you might be get away with it. Just remember something, New York assumes you possess a "pistol license," just as they do to possess. Read this carefully and see the conundrum you might have if you are stopped and questioned.

Within NY State:
============
It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or
transport a handgun in or through the state unless he
has a valid New York license. (A provision of federal law
provides a defense to state or local laws which would
prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate
travel if the person is traveling from any place where he
may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other
place where he may lawfully possess and transport such
firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In
vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in
a locked container other than the glove compartment or
console).

A member or coach of an accredited college or
university target pistol team may transport a handgun
into or through New York to participate in a collegiate,
Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided
that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked
carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate
locked container.

Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through
New York State with handguns for the purposes of any
NRA approved competition or IHMSA sanctioned match,
within 48 hours of the competition, if the competitor has
in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of
entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The
handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked
opaque container. This provision does not apply in NY
cities not wholly contained within a single county or to
people with felony convictions.

Possession of firearms by a person who is a nonresident
of this state is lawful while attending or traveling to or
from an organized convention or exhibition approved by
the NRA, and in which the nonresident is a registered
participant within forty-eight hours of such event,
provided that the nonresident has not been previously
convicted of a felony and further provided that the
firearms are transported unloaded in a locked opaque
container together with a copy of the convention or
exhibition program, convention or exhibition schedule or
convention or exhibition registration card. This provision
does not apply in NY cities not wholly contained within
a single county.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I got the impression he was leaving NJ traveling through NY into VT.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he is driving through the state he should be fine.
Federal law does not restrict individuals (except convicted felons; persons under indictment for felonies; adjudicated "mental defectives" or those who have been involuntarily committed to mental institutions; illegal drug users; illegal aliens and most nonimmigrant aliens; dishonorably discharged veterans; those who have renounced their U.S. citizenship; fugitives from justice; persons convicted of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence; and persons subject to domestic violence restraining orders) from transporting legally acquired firearms across state lines for lawful purposes. Therefore, no federal permit is required (or available) for the interstate transportation of firearms
FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION
OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners` Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
try it and jay, then let us know. PS im not bringing you cig in prison.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he is driving through the state he should be fine.
There has been a few cases already resulting in arrests where New York doesn't recognize FOPA.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
New York doesn't recognize FOPA.
They recognize it, but you'll have to go to court and shell out at least $10K for them to do so. The police will arrest you and then let the courts sort it out.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
not worth chancing it. Like bird dogs said, if you did run into trouble, it'll cost you a lot of cheddar to prove them wrong..

These gun laws make me sick....

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your anwers all seem to be consistent with what I've heard. I was trying to figure out how to get to VT which doesnt even require a CCW but I guess Id have to go via space shuttle! I didn't want to highjack a post from Aftermath so I figured I'd post it here. I was looking into a FLA or Utah CCW and this came up.

Ps. You're a true friend 1shot. I guess lobsters, steaks and Red Wine out out of the question too. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts