New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no way a game warden can tell if a deer was shot with a crossbow or a bow. Unless they catch you dragging the deer out of the woods and your holding a crossbow.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
This could start a war you know.:(

I dont mind a hunter using a cross-bow! As long as its legal and ethical.

HOWEVER, I DONT think they should allow healthy archers to use cross-bows during the regular archery season.

Ive watched people argue this to death so Im going to simply state my reasons and then leave it at that.

The only similarity between a bow and a cross-bow is that they launch an arrow with short range capability.

The differences are that you dont have the challenge of drawing and holding your bow. Doing this takes strength, and a gained woodsmanship skill of WHEN to draw your bow without spooking the game your trying to harvest.

All BOWS require the user to spend time perfecting skills only known by archers. A cross-bow eliminates these skills, and is comparable to a short range rifle.

To introduce the cross-bow into the archery season is an unfair advantage to cross bow users. Users of traditional archery tackle will be at a great disadvantage.

However, I wholeheartedly believe a disabled hunter should be allowed to use a cross-bow in any season. NJ's rule on this is perfect.

If introducing the cross-bow to the archery season is proposed, I will do what I can to not allow it.

If it is proposed and passes, then I will just live with it and of course I will treat cross-bow hunters with the respect I treat all hunters who hunt legaly and ethicaly.

Have a good one---Matt:)

·
11,226 Posts
I didn't say anything about bow seasons or comparing crossbow hunting to any other hunting. I just simply said I would like to hunt with a crossbow. I think it would be fun. :) Now if someone can start a war over that statement well they may have some issues!:D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Sorry, I didnt mean what any one said, but I figure, if everyone loves cross-bows. Eventually Ill be sharing the woods with A LOT more "bow" hunters.

I dont go out and gun hunt much at all, so bow season is sacred to me.

Not to mention I just watched otherwise civil people attack each other over this issue.

Many archers in other states are up in arms over the introduction of cross-bows to the archery season.

I dont want that here too...

No worries though...have a good one---Matt:)

·
11,226 Posts
I think crossbow would have to have it's own time in the woods. I agree it's not the same as other bow hunting. Then there are those who may argue that compounds are unfair compared to traditional long bows! I'm sure the traditional long bow people weren't too happy about the compound bows at first either... I also think anything that gets more hunters into the woods in NJ is a good thing! Just my .02

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Well I don't mine Compounders I use to be. I just don't like the ones that think they are better then us Traditionalists. It thats alot to hunt with traditional gear. To each his own. thats my $1.50....[smirk]

as far as crossbows go they should be used in the firearm season... Thats what i think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts