New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new crossbow. Its a barrnett quad 400. Is there any way after you cock the string to shoot, to unload or let the string back down besides shooting it?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Good info for beginners:

10 Safety Tips for Crossbow Shooting Success
1. Always read the manufacturers directions and use the recommended arrow (bolt) weight and length.
2. Always visually inspect crossbow and accessories before shooting to ensure all are in good condition.
3. Keep fingers and thumb low on the crossbow forearm, below the rail; the flight path of string and cable can cause serious personal injury.
4. Never walk with a crossbow cocked and arrow loaded.
5. Never cock a crossbow while in a treestand.
6. Always raise and lower unloaded crossbows from a treestand using a haul line.
7. Before shooting, check that bow limbs will hit nothing when they flex forward during the release. Crossbow limbs store enough energy to knock a hunter to the ground should the bow contact the tree or your stand.
8. Carry in your quiver an arrow with either a field point, judo or blunt. Uncock the crossbow at day’s end by shooting that arrow into a target or soft ground.
9. Never dry-fire a crossbow; releasing the trigger without an arrow in place can damage to the bow limbs or cause serious personal injury.
10. Never store or transport a crossbow in the cocked position.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
[up][up] bow season is bow season for a reason.. unless your a senior or disabled.. thats just how i feel though

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
What most guys do including my self is carry target in the truck and at the end of the day shoot a field tip in the target. I leave the target right in the truck

·
Registered
384 Posts
Know the Excalibur can be decocked. If you have the cocking rope it is really easy. Look on the web site for excal and see if they show you.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Yes you can on some models with a cocking device, but on the one you mentioned, no, you have to shoot it into a target

·
Registered
714 Posts
What most guys do including my self is carry target in the truck and at the end of the day shoot a field tip in the target. I leave the target right in the truck
..... [confused] how do you get it out of a tree stand ??????? you have to lower a loaded weapon? [eek]

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
how do you get it out of a tree stand ??????? you have to lower a loaded weapon?
Yes, remove the bolt, and while cocked with the safety on, lower it slowly, or you can shoot it into the ground at the end of your hunt from the tree stand providing you keep a bolt with a field point, but good luck getting that bolt out if you hit a root!!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
how do you get it out of a tree stand ??????? you have to lower a loaded weapon?
If coming out at night you will have a loaded weapon after legal shooting hours and might be liable for a fine. You should have to bring the target in with you and shoot it from the tree before coming down.That is the only safe way I see of doing this.

·
Registered
405 Posts
ACCEPT IT PEOPLE CROSSBOWS ARE HERE!!!!

This guys asking a simple question STOP hijacking the thread with your opinions.

Heres a Good One, DONT BUY ONE.
bow season is bow season for a reason.. unless your a senior or disabled.. thats just how i feel though

11. Make sure your wheelchair is on a level surface before shooting your crossbow.
Wow so unbelievable[down]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts