New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the Crossbow hunters that use treestands, do you load the bow before climbing into the stand or do you load it once up the tree?

I am interested not so much because it might fire while climbing but if you need 100+ pounds of pressure to load one once up the tree isn't that dangerous with the weight limits on most treestands? Or am i way off and loading isn't that difficult?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I would say, cock it on the ground...haul it up then load the arrow only when you are settled and ready to shoot

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Please...Cock it on the ground and haul up after you are strapped into your stand... Load your arrow and your set.

Kinda dangerous bending over to attach your hooks..

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Maybe, if you have a cranking device...you can cock it in the treestand......but I would only do that after I taken a shot.... initially I would still cock it on the ground....try sitting in a chair...you see how hard it is to either pull it back by hand or even with the "block and tackle" type aids

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
the wildlife digest says not to cock in the treestand, It's just a recommendation not a rule, but i don't think they truly understand every type of crossbow...i'm more than sure i can safely cock my stryker in the treestand....did it numerous times sitting in a chair to test this

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Anyone I've ever known using a crossbow cocked it at the truck.

Just haul it up to your stand, with a haul line, muzzle down with no bolt in the barrel.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Anyone I've ever known using a crossbow cocked it at the truck.
Same here. I've been hunting around crossbows for over 10 years, and have never seen anyone NOT cock and load it at the truck. Those who hunt from stands, usually walk to the stand with it loaded in the event they get a shot opportunity. Once at the stand, take the bolt off, pull it up, then load it again, done.

Lots of guys in Ohio just putt around on the ground with them loaded, like still hunting with a shotgun or ML.

Also, from what I've seen, most often, hunters using crossbows hunt from ground blinds (tents, natural blind, or just sitting next to a tree) as getting busted drawing on a deer is not a problem, so it makes ground hunting a better option.

·
Registered
327 Posts
IMO, to the question in the post:
Whatever effort that is needed it is NOT against your treestand it does NOT add or detract from any weight limit!

Personally I will always cock the bow in the treestand! That is AFTER I have hooked my harness to the tree!
Actually, the FIRST thing I do is attach my harness, then haul up my bow or rifle!

·
Registered
526 Posts
We instruct in the classes that the safest way is to cock it on the ground at the base of the tree, check to make sure your safety is on, tie it to your haul rope unloaded. Climb into your tree and attach your safety harness, get yourself set up then raise your bow into the stand. Double check your safety, check to make sure you don't have any branches or twigs jammed into your cables or cams, then load your arrow.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
We instruct in the classes that the safest way is to cock it on the ground at the base of the tree, check to make sure your safety is on, tie it to your haul rope unloaded. Climb into your tree and attach your safety harness, get yourself set up then raise your bow into the stand. Double check your safety, check to make sure you don't have any branches or twigs jammed into your cables or cams, then load your arrow.
[up][up] Thanks

·
Registered
17,068 Posts

Thanks
+1 [up][up]

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
i feel i can safely "crank" my Stryker back sitting down, so I see no reason why I can't do it in a treestand...my PSE..NO....Stryker YES

1 - 20 of 53 Posts