New Jersey Hunters banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
IMO, if that is what YOU feel comfortable doing, then that is what you should do!

If you don't agree, as I don't, then do what you feel is safest!

Remember that these are TIPS!

If I recall Moses did not come down from the mountain with 10 TIPS :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
what can really go wrong once you are strapped in your treestand and KNOW you are very capable of cocking it?....I think this is a personal preference....People like Smitty wants to have his boy cock it on the ground and that is his choice....As far as hunter education teaching to cock it on the ground..it's their choice....but for now it is only a TIP..not a law or rule.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Cocking your Crossbow while on the ground is THE SAFEST METHOD. Anything else adds in a chance of encountering a problem. And this is why Hunters Ed teaches it.
Yes you might be secured by your safety harness, but why take a chance of falling and HANGING by that harness.
I don't know about now, cause of my injury, but I use to be able to cock my Crossbow while still seated, by stretching my leg out in front of me.
When you stand, you introduce more of a chance of falling.

·
Registered
326 Posts
IMO, then make rule #11

"Never bend or contort your body while attempting to shoot ANY bow as you risk falling."

If that were there then I agree. Clearly there is a greater risk of losing your balance as you bend around a tree trying to get a shot...especially in the heat of the moment as your heart is racing!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Gee medge,seems you have a bone to pick with everyone that doesn't agree with you. I think smitty is truley talking from a safety standpoint and you're talking out your .........

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Isn't there any exceptions? I don't believe that all crossbows are a danger to crank or cock in the treestand. I agree with Medge. People are just saying they shouldn't do it...with no real reason. I would like to hear why I shouldn't crank my Stryker or Excalibur from the treestand? Expecially after being strapped in my Hunter safety system vest

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would like to hear why I shouldn't crank my Stryker from the treestand?
that's exactly what i plan on doing.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
TTT. I didnt post this to start a pissing match. I just dont want to see anyone get hurt this year.
And it is a good post towards safety[up]I have one thing to add that I don't think anyone has truley addressed. Regardless of how the xbow is brought up into the stand. Once it's there and loaded what will users do. Keep it on there lap or try to hang it from a bow hanger. As NS911 stated in another thread,this could be one of the most dangerous situations regarding their use. What if it is bumped and dropped while hanging,this could be fatal to ones self or someone nearby. There should be some guidelines for their use up in a tree aswell.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
good point max they are a lot heavyer then a compound but i do hang my guns in the tree. You must make sure you have a good strong hanger i think all the new xbows now have an auto safety. But mine will be siting in my lap for starters anyway

·
Registered
326 Posts
Gee medge,seems you have a bone to pick with everyone that doesn't agree with you. I think smitty is truley talking from a safety standpoint and you're talking out your .........
Did you add anything to this thread except that you confirmed what we already knew that you hate medge?

You have called me a poacher because you are ignorant of the law!

You have continued to get threads deleted because of your infantile behavior!

If you are capable of reading and understanding English, you will note that my two replies specifically addressed the thread question and was 100% on topic!

Your reply was off topic and asinine!
You are such a jerk that you failed to notice that my replies were before smitty posted!

I have asked numerous times for a specific risk, and have shown on numerous occasions were I see LESS risk.
You, who has been against xbows from the beginning are the one that is and has been nothing but argumentative and harassing!

Grow up!

·
Registered
326 Posts
you you're the only jerkoff
Nice mouth!

You are a disgusting, uncouth individual, completely lacking civility!
Your attacks upon me show that you are clearly ignorant of NJ hunting laws.
Your posts are mainly attacks either upon me or other xbow hunters, and in violation of the rules of these forums!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
You are a disgusting, uncouth individual, completely lacking civility!
Your attacks upon me show that you are clearly ignorant of NJ hunting laws.
Your posts are mainly attacks either upon me or other xbow hunters, and in violation of the rules of these forums!
[rofl]You're the only one who's been arguing with anyone here you unethical little creep. Get a life outside the loft medge. Carry on if you wish for I won't bother responding to your BS,I find it much better to just ignore idiots like you

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.