New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice in the Cabela's catalog they won't mail a crossbow to NJ. I was not aware the laws were any different for crossbow purchases than for compound/longbow purchases. Is there a law preventing shipping crossbows to NJ? Is there a special permit required to purchase a crossbow in NJ?

·
3,413 Posts
I was not aware the laws were any different for crossbow purchases than for compound/longbow purchases.
Can't but a bow from a Cableas catalog either.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I think this is just a Cabela's policy, but I'll let you all know about NJ and crossbows in the very near future.

I have two Doctors and an Occupational Therapist that have determined and documented through range of motion test results that I am definitely qualified and meet the criteria for a NJ Disabled Hunter's Crossbow Permit.

I sent the application in to the State on Thursday last week, and I'm awaiting their response/permit approval.

I'll be checking with Cabela's about this "law", and see what they would say if I were to send them a copy of my NJ Disabled Hunter's Crossbow Permit with my order, once I get it.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I was in a store a couple years ago and the counter guy told the customer he needed a pistol permit to purchase it. Also I had some problems with a neighbor for shooting the bolts into my yard. The police said it was against the law and I could press charges if I wanted . The guy a visitor from out of town admitted to it , though he didn't have the weapon on him at the time.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Cabelas or any mail order will not ship Bows and Guns to NJ. Part of their internal policy as well as our own State's stupid laws.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'll look into it and get back to you guys. We have ours out on display. I haven't gone through all the pink slip nonsense yet so I'm not too up to date with the gun laws.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I was just in Dick's Woodbridge Mall, and they have crossbows there. A bow is considered a firearm in the Republic of NJ, discharging a bow withing 450 of a standing building is against the law. Buying one is a different story.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
A bow is considered a firearm in the Republic of NJ, discharging a bow withing 450 of a standing building is against the law. Buying one is a different story.
Bows are NOT firearms under NJ law. Neither are crossbows.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
you can discharge a bow in a "no discharging firearms" TOWN. each TOWN is different. some say "no discharging of projectiles" which means you cant shoot a damn thing......heres a question,.

WHY ARE SLINGSHOTS ILLEGAL?!?!?! what a rediculous law.

PS. in NJ and NJ only (laws dealing with guns only) you are GUILTY until proven INNOCENT

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yup Welcome to New Jersey. Thankfully you can hunt with a bow. Also if you are caught shooting with a bow and arrow/crossbow in a no-discharge municipality most likely that officer will confiscate that weapon just like they do with knives. Even though you possess a knife that is only 2 inches the officer for his/her safety may confiscate that item even though technically it is legal.

·
Registered
460 Posts
With New Jersey being one of the strictest states with gunlaws, Why do we still have the number 1 or 2 cities for crime????????????????????????????????? Someone mut have held up a quik chek with a sawed off crossbow!

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Just noticed this thread is a million years old... post deleted.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
1.21 jigawatts!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts