New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 82 year old father just received his speical permit to hunt with a Crossbow. He can not pull back a compound bow anymore. Does any one have any suggestions on a good crossbow. Nothing fancy, just reliable.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Barnett is a good crossbow, but if he cant pull back a bow, make sure he gets the reel for crossbows, cause its hard to pull back the string on a crossbow as well!!!

B

·
0 Posts
Its good they give a chance for those that can't hunt with a regular bow

·
Registered
534 Posts
I skinned and quartered a buck from Hunterdon county last year. 200lbs w/a 12pt rack. We didn't score it because the guy who shot it said it was the smaller of 2 bucks. He's in a wheelchair, and uses a Barnett crossbow. It's 150lbs, and he shoots thunderheads. He never came back in with the bigger buck, so lord only knows what it'll be this year.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I use SPITFIRE expandable heads with my Crossbows, they are extremely accurate and have NEVER failed to expand. My bows are Horton's. They are good quality, and they back their products. I do agree that a 150lb. pull is more that enough. At 25-30yds. he will get total p [no swearing please] throughs. The 200lb. pull monsters that I have, just bury the shaft that much deeper into the ground and are a real bear to cock!!
But in Pa., where I use mine, I'm "bear" hunting also :D

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hortons & Excaliburs appear to be the best choices -I received my disabled hunter crossbow permit a few months ago, but didn't purchase one, yet.

I'm gonna try to hook up with nightstalker911 sometime in late July/early August to give his Hortons a try to see how I like them.

I will post my experiences with my crossbow trials and final selection on this site in the August/early September timeframe.

As far as Barnett Crossbows, I was told that Barnetts are not made in England anymore(?), and that the quality has really gone down hill since then, according to friends who owned the original Barnetts compared to the new ones.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Anytime JT, but steer clear of Aug. 5-15, I'll be in Montana on a Prairie dog/coyote/badger hunt then. Maybe if anyone else wants to try one, I'll bring one up to the Aug. 20th get together.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
One thing to keep in mind -

Crossbow hunting is not cheap.

Even with some of the great package deals out there, the crank, and most of the other equipment you will need are separate and pricey...

I believe in all or nothing, so this venture is gonna run me between $900.00 - $1200.00 to get everything that I "think" I'll need to hunt worry free!!!! [cool]

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Don't worry JT, If you want a Crossbow Package that my supplier has, I'll get it for you for cost + shipping. Right now the Horton XT RedDot scope package is $100 less that what Cabela's list it at[up]
Hey, that's what friends are for:D

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
hunter - Your just jealous 'cuz you can barely hit the broad side of a barn with your bow!!!! LMAO

I may be done this year already, and may be taking a leave of absence from our club this year due to what happened to my arm two weeks ago trying to stop a 5 year old from running around in my house chasing a 4 year old.....It appears to be a slight/minor rotator cuff tear, in that I haven't loss function of the shoulder....

I'm doing range of motion exercises to keep it from "freezing up", and have minimized any kind of lifting with that arm... If not better in a few weeks, gonna seek additional medical attention.

It SUCKS GETTING OLD!!!!6

·
Registered
81 Posts
JT, you are a wreck. We should put you in a bubble so you can't hurt yourself no more. You should get the exercises my dad did after he had his rotator cuff surgery, it helped him a lot with building it back up.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Woj - The 12 oz. can/bottle provides enough weight to properly perform the exercises I need to maintain range of motion while strengthening the damaged area. ;)

Unfortunately, I still only get out twice a week for a few (4-5 Buds), and I'm not even going to do that because I do not want to dull the pain sensations and end up further damaging what I believe is an injury that is correctable without surgery.

hunter - My sister-in-law is a Chiropractor("Back Cracker!!!" - She hates when I call her that!!!:D:p) - She recommended following my old exercise/therapy regimine of "the back scratcher", "wall walking", "the pretzel twist", and eventually "the taffy pull", "wings", and "the drawbridge" if I feel up to it.

I'm still in complete disbelief that this even happened!!! - especially from a 5 year old !!!

I was at the wrong place, in the wrong position, and at the wrong time!!!!

It was bad enough that my arms and hands are screwed up from sitting at a damned computer too long for too many years, and now I'm getting whooped up by 4 and 5 year olds!!![smirk]

I can't even lie to you guys and tell a good "war story" about breaking up a bar room brawl or anything like that!!!! [smirk]

Plus, don't count me out too fast just yet...If there's a way to work around this and/or fix it without surgey I AM THE GUY WHO WILL FIGURE IT OUT !!!![cool][up]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts