New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on a series of events that recently occured I was curious if anyone was currently utilizing any type of credit protection service. Companies that I have looked into are Idenity guard, lifelock and trusted id. Any pro's or con's to using these services?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I called all my credit cards and was issued new cards waiting for them in the mail now

·
Registered
747 Posts
Just this month my Capitol One credit card was compromised without me knowing it. Someone in NY attempted to buy electronics at Crutchfield.com, JustGPS.com (or something like that), and Bestbuys. They were all detected at the time of purchase. The only purchase they were able to get away with was with some kind of online gaming community in Germany ... "evo" or something. Capitol One is refundind the purchase.

I went through the same thing with a Bank of America VISA last year.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
lifelock is good

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just finished calling 2 of the companies and the first one Trusted ID, I was totally fustrated with. The girl that answered the call was extremly uneducated. I ended that call very quickly. Then I called Lifelock and was very impressed with her professionalism. After reading what was offered
on-line and speaking with her I enrolled my family.

Hope this solved any future issues.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
You don't need any of these services!!!!!!!! The State of New Jersey in its infinate Nanny State mentality has provided this service for its citizens for free! All you need to do is go to the Department of Consumer Affairs website, and print of the "lock my credit score" forms. Fill them out-get them notarized, and mail them in.

The end result-all three credit bureaus will "LOCK" your records. That means that NO-ONE can access your credit score or take out credit in your name-this means they can't get duplicate cards or anything. You will stop receiving unsolicted credit offers, and your credit history is a closed book to everyone-even you!

The only down side to this, is that you have to fill out a "one time access" form each time you seek to get a credit card, loan or other credit account. This allows the issuer a one time access to your credit records, and is only good for the day it is issued. Its a bit of a hassel, but you'll have no worries about someone stealing your credit identity

Here's the website: Credit Freeze

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I have lifelock, but as MTH said, everything can be done by yourself.

You can take your name of the national solicitation list, and put a hold on your credit by a password. You can also request your own credit history.

The only thing extra lifelock has is, they will back up any loans/credit that is taken out fraudulently while you are a member of lifelock, up to 1,000,000.

The only thing they do not protect against is if your credit card number is stolen. They can prevent any additional cards from being open, but if your current card is stolen and used, thats up to you and the credit card holder to figure out.

For around a hundred bucks a year, its worth it to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts