New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coyote makes meal of chihuahua in White Township; owner frightened, heartbroken

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/today/index.ssf/2009/05/coyote_makes_meal_of_chihuahua.html

by Express-Times staff

Wednesday May 06, 2009, 12:31 AM

Mindy the chihuahua was carried off by a hungry coyote.
White Township resident Colleen McDonald heard a scream and in the next moment saw a coyote running off with her 6-pound chihuahua, Mindy, in its jaws. The incident occurred April 24.

"It's very unnerving, and I just don't feel safe with it around," said McDonald, who now carries a handgun for protection when she's outside her Pequest Road home. "I hope I never see it again."

There are roughly 3,000 coyotes in New Jersey and the population is growing. Fatal dog attacks are rarely reported; coyotes are more likely to attack cats. Coyotes also prey on livestock, particularly sheep.

"It's not an everyday occurrence," township animal control officer Betty Wysocki said. "To think of somebody's pet being a meal for a coyote, as a person, that upsets me."

A spokeswoman for the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife said conservation officers looked for, but were unable to locate, the coyote or Mindy. She said McDonald was advised to hire someone to trap the coyote that wandered onto her property.

-------------------------------------------------------

....This property borders the Pequest wildlife area, ,easternside of,I think you guys called it the tit[hihi],just below the condos and tennis court

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
This could be good news for that old Catahoula I'm trying to find a home for!
An 80 Catahoula is a damn sight harder to swallow than one of those little chihuahua's could just find him out back ,Sorting misilainous "Yote" parts!

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I'm SHOCKED that nobody here picked up on this being reported on Cinco De Mayo.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This could be good news for that old Catahoula I'm trying to find a home for!
....wouldn't hurt to ask her JB[up],dirt driveway on the left before the bridge on Pequest road(going toward the hatchery)....I believe shes a retired officer[up]

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I would love to see a yote try that with the neighbors "dog" She is a wolf hybrid and very loving unless you try to hurt her "pack" (family and friends) thanfully I am one of her friends, as well as my son and wife.

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
There are roughly 3,000 coyotes in New Jersey and the population is growing
Funny, this the same number the state says we have in black bears[hihi][hihi][hihi] That seems to be their favorite number. Man, when will they get it through their thick skulls we need a bear hunt an more liberal yote season[confused][confused]

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[confused]....What is wrong with you
Byebye Mindy
.....ever lose a pet[wallmad][wallmad][wallmad][wallmad][wallmad]

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
this is happening around the state. i talked to a farmer that was raising dogs on the side. coyotes got into the "dog pasture" killed them all.
coyotes also like getting into pygmy goats.
the big dogs are coming on strong.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
seen that earlier in the paper, wonder if the coyote killed it for food, or maybe it thought it was another coyote pup and it brought it to her den[confused]

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
....Nope ,killed it ,she heard it screaming:(

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Says she now carries a handgun for protection, Must be nice, What about the rest of us.

Shame about the Pup, Hope the Yote finds its way into a snare trap.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts