New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
they are all good. just not in every situtation. here in the southern part of the state I could use a rabbit disstress and have fox and **** jumping in my lap, in the last few years with every one out there using the rabbit distress the yotes catch on real quick. I am getting the yotes to respond to the pup distress the most but still hanging up and barking.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
To tell you the truth the only animal I have not seen hunting is a rabbit do u think it would still work??
Yes it will. The call will get the curiosity of the animal to come in and check out what's going on. Scent is a big factor when hunting them like we do here in NJ since you have to get them in close enough for shotgun range.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I currently have 2. A Quaker Boy Cottontail Screamer that I called in a fox last year on a night sit, but not close enough for a shot. And a Predator Quest Ruffidawg Jr. that I haven't had any success with it yet. Of course I only used it twice.

But I am a rookie in the world of predator calling/hunting.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Sorry for the question and one more thing will it scare deer away???
Don't be, that's the point of the site. Unfortunately I can't answer that one as I'm not real sure and don't want to give you the wrong answer, but I'm sure ******* could help you with that.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I can say I was night hunting last January and after calling for a few minutes, I seen 2 sets of eyes come running right at me. My heart starts pumping, my trigger finger is getting ready for a double. And soon as they get into clear view its 2 deer charging right at me. I stopped calling and the 2 deer bed down about 15 yards from me and stayed there for the next hour, even while I continued to call.

I was hoping the deer scent would cover mine. :D

But no doggies came in that night.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I call deer in all the time with rabbit distress and fawn. even have deer come in on **** puppies and pup distress. I think the **** and pup is curiosity, the fawn and rabbit some times the deer kinda scares me on how they come in. had one doe charge so hard that I jumped behind a tree then I guess she realized I was human and scared her LOL I showed her didn't I.[rofl] that one was in the late winter like march when I was just calling for fun.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
i have had the tape player going and had herds of deer come in, 15+ deer. also had bucks running fawns in late january, grunting and chasing all around the tape player and me.

i just hate calling in the ***** at night. they make some strange noises. scared the crap out of me a few times. [hihi]

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
One of the best mouth-blown distres calls in the (now discontinued) Quaker Boy Little Rascal predator call. [up]

The Little Rascal is one of the most versatile predator calls available. It features a flexible rubber tube to allow for pitch control and is capable of reproducing the sound of any rodent or larger prey animal. If you can still find one ... Buy It!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
the first time I used the **** puppies tape it was like 83 or 84 I think. Dennis kirk and I was talking and he told me do not stand next to the e caller I laughed and said ok[hihi] I took the thing out and turned it on, I was 5 to 8 feet from the thing with a min I hear something but thought it must be inn the tape next thing I know out of no where here is a **** that is pissed and headed for the caller, Man I put me legs in reverse and backed up. the thing hit the caller so hard it flipped it over and bit the speaker, then runs off. then another comes in by now i am 10 yards back looking every where not knowing where to go[rofl] I called in a lot of **** that night in 3 or 4 sets. I now use the call a lot in attics where I need to get the **** to me. i know what I am doing with the the call now so I can use a pole snare on the **** when it charges put I still have to get my head right before I do it, as Im am most of the time on knees on rafters [rofl]

I might add **** puppies is a good call for yotes to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.