New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only real choice
County rightly expands deer hunting options

It may seem odd to some these days, but there was a time 10 years ago when hunting in Morris County parks was controversial. The freeholders actually shied away from approving a deer hunt for about two years in the face of opposition from anti-hunting groups.

When the hunt eventually commenced, protesters were once arrested for improperly blocking access to one of the hunting locations, Lewis Morris Park in Morris Township. Those times seem far away.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051018/OPINION01/510180302/1094/NEWS01

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Another good article Jim. I never got articles like these in Bergen County. Too liberal I guess. Although we did get openning day of trout on the front page of sports every year. Since I moved to Morris County I see more articles like these in the local town paper. Wish they had a website I could post a link. The other week they had a 3 page article on the bear hunt. Very neutral in opinion, but did weigh a bit towards the hunt if you read all the facts put into it,

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Daily Record used to be an anti paper as well but they seem to be easing off that stance alittle! Stabile has always written a great column for the Record and now it seems some of the other paper people are giving hunting a fare shake!

County rightly expands deer hunting options
I got my county permit for Schooly's Mountain Park...[up]

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Lewis Morris park is a good spot to hunt.

I participated in the Morris County park hunt last year in Mahlon-Dickerson. I ended up whacking a shed buck on the last morning (thought it was a doe).

My only complaint:

They want guys in there shooting deer. No problem. So supposedly if you shoot one... they invite you back or give your preference the following year.

However, there is no way for them to know if I was successful or not. They did not send me a survey... they did not call me... nothing.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I should have applied for county parks permits, but I don't know where any of the parks are. The wife and I haven't ventured to any of them yet.

·
Registered
322 Posts
About 2 years ago i wanted to participate in the Silas Condit Park Hunt (spelling. By the time you are able to shoot a buck you would have had to shoot 2 does and spend approx $100.00 worth of lis. and permits fees. including the County fee ofcourse. Who need the aggravation.....the rules should be the same as the state laws.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Our company is working on a restoration and management plan (deer management options) for the South Mountain Preservation, an Essex County Park. Hopfully we can get an organization like the United Bow Hunters of NJ in and do some thinning. But currently the 3 municipalities that the park is located in do not alow discharge of firearms or bows.

FYI - saw two bears (sow & cub) wrestling 2 Sat ago at Black River WMA; and a 200 lb bear cross the road at Wildcat Ridge WMA last friday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts