New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going by what it says on the DMV website, if I have a 12' jon with a trolling motor you don't need a license or registration. To me it looks like just registration.

EXEMPTIONS:
A boat license is not required for non-powered vessels.

Persons operating vessels less than 1 HP, vessels powered by 12 volt electric trolling motors or vessels 12' or longer with less than 10 total HP are exempt from the license requirement.

Out-of-state residents with written proof of the successful completion of a boat safety course are exempt from the boat license requirement.

Q9

Does my boat need to be registered?

A9

All power vessels and any vessel longer than 12' must be registered. Vessels are registered by the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
The way the laws are written do contradict themselves quite a bit. Boats longer than 12' need to be registered and any boat with a power source other than oars need to be registered. I do not believe you need a safety course certificate for a boat powered by a trolling motor only. Best bet is to call the state police to be sure,it sucks trying to figure this crap out.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i took the course for mine 12 foot john boat wit electric trolling motor. i believe you do need it. and about the registration: my boat is 12' (topper tracker 12) but on the title it says 13'. go figure[wallmad]

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
You need boat safety cert. in possession on boat to operate powered vessel in NJ. This is law.
yup! you are correct..and you also need to register your 12' boat! if it says another more that 12' on the title which im sure it does if its a 12' boat you need to register it! even if its 12' .5" [up]

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
You need boat safety cert. in possession on boat to operate powered vessel in NJ. This is law.
yes sir.

i had to take the class when is was 13 to run a 10' with a trolling motor. because i didn't have a drivers lic., but was running a motor vehical.
now, any powered boat needs reg. and you need the operator lic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got the cert. about 10 yrs ago, you had to attend a course given by the coast gaurd, I think it was 16 hrs of class in a 1 month period with a true/false
exam at the end..look on the NJSP site for marine services for the course,where/when info. dont remember the cost though.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
dont remember the cost though.
when i did the state police one a few years back i think it was around $75?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EXEMPTIONS:
A boat license is not required for non-powered vessels.

Persons operating vessels less than 1 HP, vessels powered by 12 volt electric trolling motors or vessels 12' or longer with less than 10 total HP are exempt from the license requirement.
It would be nice if it was written that way?????? Its like reading the fine print on the bottom of a contract.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
yes license is needed is using even a trolling motor. i took the test and got my certification 1 or 2 years ago. a friend of my g/f uncle administered the test. alot of the questions seemed to be on personal watercraft more,than anything else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.