New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know approximately when corn is harvested here in nj. Ive been hunting close to a field but think the deer are holdin pretty tight in the field until night. thanks.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
It depends on the property owner!

I hunted a lease and the owner decided to cut it EARLY one year. OUCH. I hunted one weekend and it was all standing. I got there Weds PM and it was as open as a football field!

WMAs generally leave it in til Jan. but you can't hunt IN the corn on a WMA.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Corn usually don't get cut until it reaches a certain moisture content. The earlier it is planted the earlier it is cut, normally. I have seen corn cut in mid October in some places.

·
Registered
615 Posts
my gf's father is a farmer and has a corn field i hunt over. They have the ability to cut the corn basically whenever they want. Yes, it needs to dry out to a certain point, but they can harvest before prime moisture content due to having "blower" fans within the silos that could dry to corn even more if they wanted to harvest early. Optimally they would like to let it stay in the field as long as possibly, but due to other weather and natural issues, they cant always due that.

In essense, it really does depend on the farmer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.