New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the SHOT show going on a lot of new products are being unveiled. Here is one that has been written about on a few other sites that looks very intersting.

Corbon, the ammo maker, has worked with Darcy Echols, of Legend Rifle fame, to design a new large caliber rifle action. The action has many of the best of the Mauser 98/ Win 70/ Rem 700 attributes and looks to be a perfect basis for a large/dangerous game .30+ cal rifle. I have included a little info on the action below.

JC

The bolt sleeve was made with a gas flange like a 98 that blocks the left rail raceway and gas vents in the front ring and on the 6 O Clock position of the bolt should divert most loose gas away from the shooter in the event of a blown primer or case. I used a similar sleeve plunger lock that Tom used on his 3UE Enfields. The trigger is all Mod-70 but made to much tighter tolerances. The firing pin is most like a Rem-700 and allows for simple removal. The safety wing operates in the typical 3 positions.

The bolt stop and ejector are pure 98 with the bolt stop shoulder and ejector slot angle changed to match the geometry of the bolt and receiver on this action. The bolt stop when closed bares on the receiver and not the bolt stop pivot pin and is made from 4130 and we use a 98 spring currently. The extractor is long and is tucked under the rear bridge to prevent it from ever becoming bound up or jammed in the 3.600 long ejection port.

The magazine is made from 4130 and Rockwell's at 30 C and will not distort form bullet noses in recoil, blues great and engraves very well. The bow is profiled in 3D. Guard screws are 1/4x28. the magazines to date are limited to 4 shot non drop box for the 300/375 H&H and a 4 shot drop magazine for the Rigby's. The bolt handle is swept and allows for a very low set of scope rings. When the bolt is machined the bolt root length extends out of the bolt notch making it a 3 rd recoil lug if things are going badly. The bolt shank & knob is welded in place and can be had in swept or straight down on request. They can be made in left hand as well.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curious to know what the degree of bolt lift it has.
Only info I have related to the bolt is listed below...it does not mention lift degree.

JC

The bolt handle is swept and allows for a very low set of scope rings. When the bolt is machined the bolt root length extends out of the bolt notch making it a 3 rd recoil lug if things are going badly. The bolt shank & knob is welded in place and can be had in swept or straight down on request.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Sweet looking action. A D'Arcy Echols rifle sells for about 15X to 30X's the cost of a stock new Rem. 700. Truly a princely sum. H.P. White on the side shows experimental and this is probably off for stress-testing? Some beautiful workmanship there.

Like the M70 trigger mechanism. Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

BTW - Not the first to do so, but Browning FN rifles (remember those with the infamous pencil barrel?) incorporated a M70-style trigger back in the 50's. The epitome of simplicity and strength.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure, I like to read stuff. Thanks
Here you go..

JC

Here are some of the specs on this action I have been working on for about 12 months. The owner of Cor-bon Ammunition funded the project and they will market it. It's being made by a machine shop here in the valley that makes all my other parts. The action in the pics was just sent to HP White Labs and had a pressure test done. They took it to 89,000 psi before the cartridge case went so elastic that it flowed into the ejector slot and firing pin hole, proof loads run about 70,000 psi. They had to beat the bolt open with a dead blow hammer but once open checked the headspace and it had not changed and the NO GO gage would still prevent the bolt from closing. I examined the barreled action when it returned and noticed the Douglas Barrel had swollen .002 at the chamber end as the barrel was difficult to remove. However the action did not expand by any measurable means that i can detect. The lugs did distort but only by .0017. So all this proves is with modern steel and using a proven design you can stay out of harms way. In short these are the highlights.

The originally request was to make an action large enough for the 338 Lapua, 416 Rigby and 450 Rigby as they all derive from the same case then make an action with the rails and magazine for the 300/375 H&H cases and then a magazine for the 300 Wtby, 340 Wtby, 416 Rem and 458 Lott group. The owner decided to go with the 300/375 H&H action, rails & magazine first.

The steel we started with is a Chrome Moly called Flexor, but we have also made some from 4340 C/M. The ID of the action race way is .703 the bolt OD is .698 there is little side to side or up and down bolt wobble when the bolt is fully retracted.

The bolts have been made from the same Material as well as 2 bolts made from 8620. As of yet we have not settled on the final steel for either

It uses a cone breech like the M-70 has a 1.062 x 16 TPI thread form that is housed inside a large ring that measures 1.400 OD and is longer than a M-70 by 1.00 here and there. This give you a bullet ramp as long as a 98 Mag Mauser and a longer thread extension. The threads or cut in with a thread mill and to date have been dead zero with the centerline of the bore. The measurable run out across the recoil lugs seats, recoil lugs, bolt face and receiver face are less than .0003 there is no need to lap anything before fitting a barrel.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But on a serious note, what does that action cost?
Haven't seen any hard numbers as I don't think that has been determined yet. However, as this is a essentially a high end magnum action I suspect it is going to be in the leagues with a Granite MT action, or around $3k give or take.

JC

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
They took it to 89,000 psi before the cartridge case went so elastic that it flowed into the ejector slot and firing pin hole, proof loads run about 70,000 psi.
That's certainly warm. Brass starts to "flow" in the low 70's and gets elastic as pressures mount. These numbers are about the standard modern actions are tested to. There are a number of high-intensity cartridges that operate as high as 64,000 PSI so 89,000 PSI is realistic. SAAMI recommendations for proof testing is 1.3 X's maximum average pressure (MAP). MAP is the recommended average pressure that SAAMI considers safe for a given cartridge. Cool stuff.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what does that action cost?
On another site a member is stating that the target price is $2K. That is not bad considering a simple basic quality action, (ala, defiance, Surgeon etc,) will run $1k and and those are far simpler to design and to produce.

JC

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
trolling for sycophants
Not a sycophant, but I appreciate the advancements in technology to a design that has only been improved upon and enhanced for more than 100 years. The bolt action design has stood the test of time. Products like this are the high point of a craftsman's ability. It's nice to see builders in America turning out products like this. True, the cost may be out of the reach or reason of most people, but variety is the spice of life.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Products like this are the high point of a craftsman's ability.
Couldn't agree with you more. Action like these today are the craftsmans equivelent of the DWM Model 98s, pre-64 Model 70, etc, etc, when they were first produces. Very few manufacturers will even attempt to market actions such as these today due to the difficulty in producing such a highly refined action. This action is right up there with the few other high end actions available on the market such as the old Empire actions, Granite Arms, Satterlee etc.

Below is a great video of Peter Pi of Corbon discussing the action, where you can get a good look at the design.

JC

http://www.youtube.com/user/702Shooter?feature=g-u-u#p/u/23/Ri1CRxCD-uA

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.