New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a crossbow that my fiancee will be using come winter bow. Her son has been using it last two seasons. Finally got him a newer youth bow and told him the cross bow is off limits to him now.

So three hunters and three bows, no problem,,, but,,, I do believe that browning micro midas is better than my antique jennings barracuda, its half the weight, appears to be just as quick and a heck of a lot quieter than mine.

Screwing up my neck in the service made me quite bowhunting until crossbows was opened up. I'm hoping a lighter bow with a lighter draw weight will let me get back into the game. Won't know for sure till I can do some high volume target shooting. Been shooting the barracuda a few shots a night past couple weeks with limbs cranked out two turns from what was my normal weight that I can't remember, maybe around 55lbs now, and I'm barely getting by. Its an accurate shooter and has taken many deer, but damn its heavy and loud.

So to my main question, wondering, looking for advice,,,,

What should I be looking at in a used bow a couple/few years old? Been out of the bow market for a long time, and there are a lot of new names out there.

What brands are there to avoid, might be easier than a "what bow should I buy" question,, maybe some company had a rocky start.

What should be the cut off limit making a bow to old to take advantage of newer technologies?

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
395 Posts
I got BRAND new ROSS bows ( 26-30 DL )for $524.95 retail if you get all the items arrows, quiver , rest, stabilizer I knock a few more bucks off. In my opinion its great for guys needing an easy to shoot set up. I also have Brand new Athens TRX bows at $699.00 and again of you get the stuff to stick on it, I knock a few more bucks off. I have those in 28-28.5 and a 70 at 29.

ROSS XD Axle to Axle: 30.5″

Brace Height: 7.5″

Mass Weight: 3.16 lbs.

Let Off: 80%

Draw Lengths: 26″-30″ (1/2″ increments)

Draw Weights: 40-50/50-60/60-70 lbs.

IBO Speed: 320 fps

ROSS PINK XD2.jpg

·
Registered
395 Posts
IBO Rating: 330+ fps
Axle-to-Axle: 32"
Brace Height: 7"
Draw Weight: 40lb to 70 lb limbs
(10 lb increments)
Letoff: 65%-80%
(adjustable)
Weight: 4.2 lbs
Draw Lengths: 25"-30"
half inch increments
(DL specific cams)
Standard Color options:
Black Riser / Black Limbs

Athens TRX bow 22.jpg

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
you need to go draw a BUNCH of different bows back and see which cam design draws EASIEST for you. everyone draws a bow backa little different,
if you have issues you want to stay away from agressive cams and stick to something that rolls over easily. dont worry about speed or poundage as its all HYPE.
many shooters kll everything they shoot at with weights as low as 40 pounds.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you must buy used I'm pretty sure Elite has a warranty that transfers owner to owner. Also with the availability of bows today you can get a great deal on a new bow and then it's NEW no matter what you have a warranty. If you can finish out the season with what you have you can get a 2014 bow cheaper when the 2015's come out early in the year.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Much as I would like,,, a 400+$ bow is out of the question, just way to much stuff to take priority over a new bow.

I'll keep an eye on Elite's or at least check into them,, thanks Daver

And your spot on Hammer4Reel, I'm a little older and wiser now, I could care less of draw weight, its accuracy that counts. When I was hot and heavy into it, my step pop and I would constantly robin hood each others arrows. We would shoot at least 30 minutes a day 5 months ahead of season. I just squeezed a 10 yard range into the basement, no reason not to get all practiced up and dead on accurate again.

As I have said, I've taken dozens of deer with that 24 year old jennings, I'm just second guessing how much life it has in it. Has original limbs and string on it still, add in I'm at 5 turns out of max on the limbs right now, but still drawing a wee bit heavy. Have no clue what the safe limit is on it for backing off the limbs.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I do have a Hoyt Kattera used with sight / Stabilizer / Rest / quiver for $250 plus tax /shipping. Just needs strings. It was my personal bow only been hunted with about 2 weeks ever.. 28.5 DL RH 70lb

Hoyte Kattera bow.jpg

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Figured it out.

Gonna stop tomorrow and pick up the fiancee her own crossbow. Problem solved.

Grabbing her the parker challenger in pink camo for same price I would be looking to spend for another vertical bow. Its lighter weight, lighter draw weight, and smaller framed than my tornado, so should be a wee bit easier for her to shoot.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a 99% let off concept archery bow very nice shooting and locally made right here in Jersey. It was nice right out of the box when I got ot las season since then I have killed 10 deer with it since last year. I know strictly archery has them but you can check them out online at conceptarchary.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts