New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was confronted by 2 COs yesterday while hunting. I am not making this up and Im not trying to start and argument. First question they asked up to me was "Are you using a crossbow". don't know why they asked it. i thought it was weird. Then they asked me if I was baiting. Another weird question. Anyway... Apparently the lady behind me saw me walking in and called. They checked my license and verified that I was not trespassing and moved on. It was pretty cool when they couldn't find me. They knew I was there but couldn't see me. Guess the didn't look up high enough. I had to whistle to them. [hihi][hihi]

Saw 5 does after they left... Out of Range.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Not to start a fight here, but why were they checking you out in the first place?
Did she accuse you of an unlawful act...or is she an ANTI that wanted to make sure you didn't get a deer??

Xbows are legal, check.
Baiting is legal, check.

Ruining a hunters OPENING DAY by walking around the woods keeping a lawful hunter from the day he has looked forward to for MONTHS!, check.

Unless they had a reason to think you were actually illegally hunting let the sob's wait for you to come out of the woods and check you then!!!

Opening day @holes!

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to start a fight here, but why were they checking you out in the first place?
We talked to the land owner that night and he said someone saw me walking in and called the authorities. He squared everything away with the COs and there is no problems. I don't know why they called.. my guess is they don't like hunting. or they didn't know hunting season opened. But who knows

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
or the person who called doesnt know sunday bowhunting is now legal...co's shouldnt be able to ruin your hunt period they should wait for you to come out at dark and go catch some atv riders on public land in the mean time

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
I don't think that a lot of people outside the hunting community know about Sunday bowhunting. Chances are, whoever called the COs saw you go in and thought you were hunting illegally.

·
Registered
326 Posts
nces are, whoever called the COs saw you go in and thought you were hunting illegally.
Very possibly, but I assume that the CO would know the law. Before they trespass they should at least have a suspicion of wrongdoing!
True they do not need "probable cause", but a reasonable suspicion is not too much to ask...IMO!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Too many hunts ruined by people who just don't like hunting! CO's should go to the house and ask them 20 or more questions before checking out the hunter! Can you give me a description of the person, ma'am? What kind of weapon was he carrying? What made you suspicious enough to call the police? If I find out that this guy is legit, I'm gonna charge you with filing a false report? (can't really do that) Mind, if I look around your backyard, first?

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Agreed they shouldn't be in the woods. Had only one encounter with law enforcement in the woods. Some kid started a fire in a woodlot a mile away and ran off and cute policewoman came thru with the K9. I scared her with a Can I help you from the tree. This after she pushed thru like 20 deer and killed the hunt.[ko]

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
They should do what I use to do. After gathering the callers info, I ran them through the computer for a warrants check. You'd be surprised how many people have warrants on them [eek]
Then after I handled the call, I'd come back and cuff up the caller, much to his/her surprise. It's VERY satisfying when it's one of those CHRONIC petty offense caller :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
a CO walked out into the wood when my and my buddy were on a youth hunt, his reason to walk out was because he seen 2 gun cases through the window of our car...never thought that it would be 2 hunters and 2 kids....never the less...ruined the kids hunt

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
You can arrest someone for calling in a suspicious person?
No, what he was saying was that he locked them up for active warrants after investigating the call.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
When you have a homeowner call[especially a woman,no offence ladies]they will call again. next time probly the police. Whoever comes make sure you ask their name,badge number,and document the time and date. I had a woman do this a couple years back,she was relentless. Once I documented her third call I kindly left her a letter that now she was liable for hunter harrassment. Miraculously I was left alone for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I had the same problem once.... There was a gun shot at first light and it sounded like a rifle. I was in a tree and i see the cop show up first then the game warden and they are all walking in my general direction. The lady across the street heard the shot and new i hunted there because you could see orange. So I called down to the them when they wre walking thru the woods, they asked me to come down, told them I hear the shot and pointed across the street. Then they wanted to know if i had permsion to hunt there. I said yes. Did i have proof. So i went the land owners house and knocked. The land owner told them he can do anything he wants here at anytime. That was nice to hear,but never found out who shot the rifle and it was like i had to defend myself for doing nothing wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.